Nuisance Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaiwaya, May 12, 2009.

1. kaiwaya

kaiwaya New Egg

May 12, 2009
    Recently i purchased a 35 dollar basket of trailing petunias, 2 hours later they have been reduced to stems!
    I am planting a garden this year and am concerned that my hens will destroy it. can i electrify my fence or will that harm them? What can I do?
    I keep my hens free range because their main purpose is to eat the ticks and scorpions in my yard. And they do a fabulous job. They are great layers too!
    Any Advice?

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have seen several people on here say they use an electric fence around their chickens so don't see why you can't use it to keep them out of your garden instead.

3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Why not fence your garden with reg. fencing? Can't they just walk under jump over a electric fence? I have my garden fenced to keep rabbits, cats, and such out.

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    If you free range fence the garden. My garden has a three foot high fence around it and that keeps them out. They have over an acre to run in so my small garden is intising to them but they don't bother to go over the fence which they easily could if the wanted.
    Like the one poster said it will help keep other garden eating critters out as well.

5. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I agree. Fence it. Our garden is fenced in. My flower beds are fenced in. My herb garden is fenced in. My strawberries are fenced in. Well, you get the idea. Anything I would like to keep has fencing around it. And, like scooter said, they could easily fly over the fencing, but for some reason, they don't. We used 3 ft. high chicken wire and metal posts to tie it to. Not very expensive, and definitely worth it!

6. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    In my opinion: i would use chicken wire to fence in your garden, not electrical fence though. Electrical fence can kill a duck(happened to my uncle) then it WILL kill your chickens.... just fence in the garden and the girls will stay out...

7. kaiwaya

kaiwaya New Egg

May 12, 2009
    My hens are supposed to live in a nicely fenced in area of the yard except when I let em out. Unfortunately they can go right over the top of my fence. It's a regular height fence. They also climb my trees. Those girls are little houdinis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by