Number of chickens in my coop?

Honestly I think that space becomes a bigger issue if they are confined to a run during the day as well.I have a 12 x 7 coop that has laddered roosts.I currently have 41 birds in it at night.They don't even USE all the roosting space!I have 2 empty roosts!BUT with that said...they have a lot of space outside(free range on about an acre) and during the winter we shovel areas for them to roam...My hens are never in the coop unless laying...or roosting.Even in the rain/snow they prefer to hang out UNDER the coop rather than inside.I have no pecking issues so far..and it's been over a year.This is season 2 for them.
I have not had any issues due to space with mine.My coop is well ventilated..has a TON of roosting space in different areas and plenty of nest boxes.
I would say to go by your chickens behavior and use the actual footage as a guideline.Just my .02
smile.png

What is the covered 12x12 run for? Are they ever confined to that? Or do they exit the coop and run and free range from there? Do you plan to confine them at certain times? If so I would not get any more birds. They just do weird things if they feel crowded at all. When they start bad habits it is hard to break them. I went by exactly the space required and figured they would be fine. Now I wish I had given them more room. I have to let them free range at all times. I never close the coop door just so that they never have to feel crowded or stressed. It would be nice to be able to lock them in once in awhile if I needed to. Now I am building a much bigger coop.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I live in an are where it doesn't really get cold. It has only snowed here once in like the last 20 years. In the winter it can get cold at night but nothing dramatic. They are out of the coop at 8-9 in the morning and put themselves to bed at 7-8 at night. When i go on vacation we have renters who live on the property so they watch out for them and the only pred problem we have is coyotes and we have 5 dogs running around all day watching over them. The run was for when i only had 13 hens and i had covered part of it for shade in the run and also since i have a big water bowl and treat bowl under it. They think water from the horse waterers is better since it comes in a bigger size
idunno.gif
or i think. Even during the rain they all go and hangout in the hay room instead of the coop. Dont know why but they do.
hu.gif

Quote:
... or go into the coop to lay eggs. Our birds enjoy over 150 square feet of rotating pasture each during the warmer months, but our mobile hen houses allow for two square feet per bird inside. In the winter when we round up the wagons, we keep our exercise runs open with a seven foot snowblower. I think some people don't keep the runs clear of deep snow which causes confinement problems in poultry.

[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/90607_snowblower.jpg[/URL]

Mine are allowed outside at all times too and they have a pen (20 to 30 feet by 40 feet) they are in which is inside my dog pen that is about 1/2 an acre(at least 250 feet by 100 to 150 feet never measured it but it's huge ) so he can watch out for them. During the day they can roam the whole place. At night they have the smaller pen and their coop. There are always one or two birds inside the coop or in the nests checking them out but for the most part they spread way out and have tons of room. I am building a juvenile coop for my babies to grow out in since I think that would be way too much for the older birds to have to deal with but it will be right next to the adult coop and pen area so they will be able to see each other but the babies will be safe from the older birds until they are big enough to defend themselves.

I have a 4 ft high fenced in back yard (approx. 1/4 acre) Should I worry about my hens flying over?? And how do you get your hens into the coop at night?? Mine seem to not want to go in or the older birds block the way and wont let the younger ones past them. Anyone else have this problem?? Im usually out there at 9pm chasing chickens into the coop...thats gettin old..lol

Im so afraid something will eat them if I dont lock them up.
sad.png

I also have a 4 ft high fence around the run, I draped netting over the top to deter the occasional hawk that flies by.
The only thing my girls like to fly up on is me, so when I go out to visit, I place my chair in the shade, in the middle of the run. So if they do fly off my shoulders, they are not near the fence.
Mine were going to bed quite nicely for the last few days, but today they wanted to stay out longer, but I was in the middle of cooking dinner, so I had to gather them up & put them to bed. 10 of them are 6 weeks & 3 are 4 weeks (who still live at home), will be kicking them out in a week or so, to live with the big girls.
Was so excited yesterday, they are learning how to use the roost I made for them, they have been out there, just over a week.
The only thing that makes them want to fly is, if one of them found a bug or other yummy, and then they are racing all over. Or if our lab pup, charges the fence, and if he keeps it up, he will have a new home at the pound.
Enjoy!

Rachel'sFlock :

Quote:
You could always lure them with a snack...bit of BOSS in a coffee can to shake, or a handfull of cracked corn??? Mine are such beggars they would follow me and a coffee can, anywhere!
Best of luck!

Thanks...I am using snacks and it is turning out quite nice getting them into the coop...I still am having a problem with one mean young hen that wants to pick on everyone else and chase them out of the coop...but she sees me coming and backs away now...lol because I yell at her and shake a stick at her.​

I like the pic with the baby in it! I have a 10 month old, and she goes in the stroller while I do my "chicken chores." She laughs at the chickens and enjoys it for 10-15 min. before she starts hollering to get out. I agree with the others, if they are free ranging most of the day, your run and coop are fine. I wouldn't add more, just b/c like the other posters said, you don't want them picking on each other.

Quote:
thats what my coop is ive got 11 now and next year im going to build a second coop the same size i want plenty of room for chicken math and when i put up the 2nd coop im building the run between the 2nd one 45 feet away from eachother

Back
Top Bottom