Numbered bandettes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crystal1957, Oct 12, 2009.

1. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Hi fellow chicken lovers. I am entering two roosters iand four hens in the county fair-roosters are Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock. McMurray Hatchery has numbered bandettes which I need, but I can't figure out what size for these roosters. Plus I only need 2 for these roosters. Size 11 or 12 is the biggest I think. Can someone help me? I guess I will have to go ahead and purchase the size for the hens but I can't judge for the roosters. It is expensive to buy these bags when I only need 4 for my hens (1 RIR, 1 Barred, 1 Jersey Giant, 1 Buff Opington), 2 roosters--1 RIR and 1 Barred. Any one have just a few?

Thanks!!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    On my Rhode Island Red's in the breeding pens I use #12 bandettes.
    I cant think of any place that will sell only 2..
    I get mine from here http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/ … cPath=8_24
    They have 25 for $6.95..

Chris

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Since it's a small show, could you get away with "unofficial" bands? You could use a wide zip tie and write a number on it. You may have to seal the ink with tape or glue so it doesn't rub off. Ask the show officials if that would be acceptable; it would be an inexpensive solution!

4. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Thanks. I will contact the chairperson and inquire. Great idea.

5. crystal1957

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Some companies were saying a particular size fit turkeys, pheasants, chickens. Was difficult for me to imagine that one size cold fit so many different birds. Also, one company says #11 for chicken hens, another company said #12. Gets confusing.

I will visit that website and also contact the chairperson for using homemade bands. Many thanks.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I don't know what state you are in, but in Arkansas, it has to be a permanent numbered band that is reflected on their npip papers. We can't use the bandettes for that purpose. I'm not sure about if you are npip certified.

7. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some, I have lots.

[​IMG]

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
  9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I have a ziploc bag with a bunch of bandettes for you sitting on my desk now, am going to print out a label and send them today. I am including four 9s, four 11s, and two 12s, just in case the cock birds have really thick legs.

And it's no problem, really. I have a whole drawer full of them collected over the years. All the ones I'm sending are new too (never been worn.) [​IMG]

Should get to you in a couple of days, in plenty of time for your fair.

10. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    That's very nice of you, Pathfinders! I'm looking foreward to meeting you at the ON. I have lots of questions, and I'll be picking brains all weekend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by