Nursery recommendations?

I’m looking to order some fruit and nut trees sometime in the near future (I hope) I’ve been looking on Gurneys and Stark Brothers has anyone had good luck with them or another company?
Starks is reliable. I would avoid Gurneys. They got bought out by Direct Gardening a few years ago.

Dave's Guide is an excellent source for reviews on garden type sites.

I’m curious about this also...especially seedless grapes right now. I planted seedless grapes from a box store a few years ago and last year I finally got fruit and all of them had...you guessed it...seeds.

I’ve been wavering between Starks, One Green World, and some Etsy sellers.

As for the OP, I bought some pawpaw trees from Nash Nursery in MI last year (I’m in NH) and they were small, but healthy looking trees.

Also, I‘m cold stratifying a lot of nuts right now in the fridge. I have some shagbark hickory, 100% american chesnut, allegheny chinkapin, blue oak, and black walnut. Last year I did some shagbark hickory, pawpaws, various oaks, and some american persimmon and had decent success growing them in tall pots. Nut trees love to set a deep tap root so if you have the patience, growing them from seed will give you a strong, healthy tree. Of course you just have to find a way to keep out the little rodents from digging them up the first couple of years.

Good to know. I keep ending up on Gurney for asparagus crowns. First negative on Dave's about G was the poor asparagus crowns. Dave's looks amazing.
Dave's has saved me lots of potential mistakes.

Try Nourse Farms. I have been happy with what I have ordered from them even though they are in Massachusetts.

Stark’s: we bought 2 Asian Pears last year, bare root. Seem to be happy/healthy. Obviously too early to report much else than that. I struggle to find what I want in the size I want on their website over the past couple of years. It seems like they are either disorganized or they are changing up their system in some manner -not sure what it is. But, they do seem to have a good variety.

just remembered, we also bought strawberry plants from them. - 25 bare roots, each of two types. All lived snd grew well. Until I overfertilized them in August and killed about 1/3 of them :hit

Back
Top Bottom