Nurses Post

1702451004510.png

LPN here, now retired. I started after training in the hospital. Learned a lot there. I felt at home in the woman's post op unit. Sometimes they would send us to other floors. You never knew what you might run into. Like the time I found a naked patient who had pulled out the catheter standing on a chair. When the hospital kept increasing our patient numbers, I went to work in a doctor's office for many years.
I must say, I am happy to be retired!

I always tell patients, "I know. It looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory."

1702486978371.png

But if your in ICU or PACU (recovery room), you will be getting patients fresh out of surgery. The CRNA pulled down every IV line, dropped it on the bed and rolled the patient to you. It doesn't matter if the bag of fluid or blood was empty or no longer needed.
One of the first things you want to do after patient is stable is go through and throw away any lines not needed or questionable. Better to start fresh than get confused by a jumble of extra lines.

1702488234495.png

True story. I worked in a Pre-post/ PACU that the last thing we did before leaving at night was to gather all the pillows and lock them in a closet.
ICU was 24-7 and would steal sequester all your pillows. (If your not in nursing, a patient could easily require 6+ pillows. 2 under the head, two under the back to turn, one to raise the heels one between the legs. Sometimes less but sometimes more.)

I guess this is mainly for our nursing students to get an idea of the day to day operations. If your an experienced nurse jump in and if you a curious civillian enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom