Nurses Post

1703492049402.png

For anyone who has had anesthesia or even "moderate sedation" you know that part of the instructions include "Nothing to eat or drink after midnight" or maybe for 6-8 hours before the procedure. If you are tempted to cheat, let me tell you why that is.
One of our automatic bodily functions is to keep our airway open unless we are swallowing (or vomiting). This happens even when sleeping.
1703732646382.png

When under Moderate Sedation this function SHOULD still operate but in anesthesia it is knocked out. (This is one reason you are intubated.)
To be on the safe side though you don't want ANYTHING in your stomach. Stomach contents are Acidic and if they drift up and get into your lungs it's called 'aspiration pneumonia'. This will earn you a night or two in the ICU.
Bottom line is, one morning without coffee, grits and biscuts isn't going to kill you, But sneaking it might.

Ask your Doctor which medications you should take before surgery. Take them with just enough water to get them down.

A little medical lingo. NPO is latin for "Nothing by mouth". (Nil per os.)

Last edited:
Just a foot note in (ChiCom Flu) history, I was getting a patient from ED last night who was Covid+.
After getting the room ready, (including my N-95 mask) my head nurse tells me we don't need N-95's to enter Covid rooms any more unless, they are getting a breathing treatment, on 5 liters of O2 or more, or are on BiPap. Big change from when we spent the day in nylon suits and respirator mask.
It's taking the most common course of mutating into something less virulent.

Asking the nurses because they know best and will be honest. Is there an effective treatment for RA? Don't want to waste my time or money on a Dr. just to be told to take Motrin.
I am not a nurse but the best thing that has helped me is cutting out sugar and all processed foods. Cut the inflammation

Back
Top Bottom