Nutrition value of quail eggs

squail

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
There is lots of anecdotal blogs about the nutritional value of quail eggs vs other eggs. Lots of people just make blanket statements about cholesterol levels or vitamin levels or other nutritional values of quail eggs.

For example, quail eggs supposedly have high levels of HDL and no LDL. Can anyone cite the original research for this or is this one of those things that because it's online, it has to be true.... (yes, I'm joking).

Please provide any and all scientific research citing the research.

I found this nutritional value

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/128/2

which is in line with this:

http://zonefitness.com.ng/quail-egg-versus-chicken-egg-which-is-better/#sthash.12GHGilh.dpbs

but in contrast with this one:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889157502001291

This is an old thread that i am responding to, but it is still very relevant. The internet is full of BS about how quail eggs are so much healthier than chicken eggs, but this is so very wrong. It really takes between 5-6 quail eggs to equal a chicken egg (not 4 like most sites say). Then to further mislead people, the 'serving size' for the quail eggs is 1 egg - so you need to multiply those values to equal a chicken egg serving size of 1 chicken egg. You will quickly see that the actual nutritional values (per equal serving size) are very close to each other. Now, to debunk quail even more... if a chicken needs 4 sq ft each and a quail needs 1 sq ft to raise humanely, then the quail clearly takes more square feet to raise for purposes of equivalent egg servings. The only saving grace is 'head space' ... you can stack quail up vertically in short cages to use less of a footprint on the ground.
Meat from quail vs chickens .... pretty clear chickens are the clear winner here too. Takes a lot of 4-6 oz dressed quail to equal one 4 lb chicken.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quail meat and quail eggs, but I don't buy in to all of the internet marketing BS !!!!!

This is an old thread that i am responding to, but it is still very relevant. The internet is full of BS about how quail eggs are so much healthier than chicken eggs, but this is so very wrong. It really takes between 5-6 quail eggs to equal a chicken egg (not 4 like most sites say). Then to further mislead people, the 'serving size' for the quail eggs is 1 egg - so you need to multiply those values to equal a chicken egg serving size of 1 chicken egg. You will quickly see that the actual nutritional values (per equal serving size) are very close to each other. Now, to debunk quail even more... if a chicken needs 4 sq ft each and a quail needs 1 sq ft to raise humanely, then the quail clearly takes more square feet to raise for purposes of equivalent egg servings. The only saving grace is 'head space' ... you can stack quail up vertically in short cages to use less of a footprint on the ground.
Meat from quail vs chickens .... pretty clear chickens are the clear winner here too. Takes a lot of 4-6 oz dressed quail to equal one 4 lb chicken.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE quail meat and quail eggs, but I don't buy in to all of the internet marketing BS !!!!!

'According to the USDA, when compared per equal units to chicken eggs, they are higher in iron, B12 and folate than chicken eggs and slightly higher in protein and phosphorus.' Quote

Worthwhile going to google scholar - there are many scientific papers on the subject.

I am not sure a farmer will be inclined to raise quail for meat and eggs because you are correct about the number of quail eggs to a chicken and amount of meat.

I personally (despite having enough garden to keep 2 x 26ft by about 8ft runs and a decent allotment), cannot keep a roo due to noise. I can keep several male quails. I would also have to keep 2 different types of chicken for meat and eggs.

Between my four Pekin and the quail - we get more eggs than we can eat. The chicken eggs used for boiled/ fried egg and quail for cakes/pancakes etc. We also put some under a light in winter for all year eggs.

I do not do this as I generally breed to sell (except for surplus males)- but in a 10ft x 2 area with three stacked cages I could grow out more than enough to feed my family for a month - they mature in 6-8 weeks. My incubator can hatch 4x the quail eggs to chicken.

As you say yourself there are benefits to people like me where land and space and limits in the local area impact what we can keep.

It might be handy if I am put into lockdown over this virus.

Back
Top Bottom