NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    if mine want to eat or drink they have no choice but to come outside. No food or water is kept inside any coop ever. Most are outside right now. Some go in and out of coops all day but most just stay outside. You know...like a bird should [​IMG]

2. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Because the runs are covered I don't keep water in the coops. It drives the humidity up. Plus with all the straw on the floor of the run it should be fine on their tootsies. I may give them another bale before the end of winter.

Now if you clean your coop and you DON'T have garden, I suggest you bag up your cleaning in plastic garbage bags and sell it. You will surely find a buyer at some price. Even a dollar is more than you'd have if you tossed it to the curb.

I personally have driven and paid for horse manure.

Take care and be well,

Rancher

4. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Well, I'm ready for warmer weather. The poop is all frozen together, so I can't scoop well, even with my plastic scraper. The thermometer said minus 4, but in the coop it was 4 above. Haven't seen any frostbite, but Earl still had scabs from his final fight with Reveille who is now residing in the moderately heated garage. I wonder who is the winner there, Earl is in the cold coop with the girls, Rev is in the sort of warm garage alone.

For those looking for EE, Rev is an Ameracauna he's very handsome, and he does love the ladies. He is silver with black, and a little red. He has a lovely beard and cheeks, he talks to me now that he has no one else to talk to. Being broody raised, he is somewhat reserved, we don't cuddle.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I can't take him but you can post pics if you like. I have a Lav Amer roo to work with. I'm not particular to what the bird looks like as long as I can get more colored egg layers. Shades vary I've learned. The more the merrier.

6. JayinCohoes

JayinCohoes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Sharon Springs, NY
    Stony,
    You really know how to get a conversation going. I love it.

7. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    You would buy horse manure!! Why can't I give it away? People only want mine after I compost it for a year....But then I want it too!! And I agree with the water in the coop raises the humidity comment. The only time I had condensation in the coop was when I had water in the coop.

Mine too! Mine come out in the morning and go in at night. They only come in during the day to lay an egg.

8. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

9. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Me too ...hate this cold ..
    Frozen poop ..I dont scoop it ...just turn it under ( deep litter method sort of ) Frozen Eggs 2 this Morning !
    Any suggestions ..to avoid frozen eggs anyone ? Ive thought of a heating pad in the nest box..maybe Ill put an old mattress pad that is somewhat thick ..might insulate
    One hen is getting lazy ...laying a egg in the coop for 2 days in a row ...
    Id say Earl Won hes got the girls & lots of little heaters with him ..LOL

10. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Have done just that! Can't wait to meet my Delawares ala Rancher in the spring. [​IMG]

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by