NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    LOL At least we can keep it lighthearted!

I shut my mouth when I need to. If not, something always comes out the wrong way. [​IMG]

2. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    As always, Cass, your wit and humor are appreciated. (And yeah, I think you've mentioned the "build BIG" a time or two, LOL!) [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences and for the reminder to keep things in perspective. I've had animals my whole life, from fish, gerbils and parakeets on up to cats, my beloved dogs and a couple of horses. I hate to see anything die, but nothing's worse than seeing something suffer.

I'll be committed to keeping my birds happy and healthy, but realize that sooner or later, their time will come. Just hope it's later rather than sooner!

Great post, again, and thanks.

TOB

3. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Awww, thanks Rancher! You're all teaching me buckets full here at BYC!

(And I also have learned from your earlier post that if I'm ever reincarnated as a squirrel, to stay off your property! [​IMG] )

By the way, I don't think I see the appeal of auctions and doubt I'll ever patronize any. Have always felt this about the horse auctions, as well. Plain old depressing -- much of the time, anyway.

TOB

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Goodness it was busy in here today! I had lots of pages to read to catch up! It's too cold over here, and the birds are having none of it. Well, the brahmas don't care, but the others aren't too happy.

And I posted this a couple days ago but it kind of got buried: anyone have any easter eggers or blue/green egg layers they're looking to unload? I'm down to one girl who lays blue eggs and I miss the fun colors :(

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY

Who says? I do know my chickens know me and are more relax when I'm around. They sure can tell one person from another. One thing I've read is stress can bring on underlying problems. Which is why I don't let folks or strangers mess with my chickens. I don't like to make sudden changes in the coop.If I do, I spend more time with my chickens cuz it calms them down. DON'T YOU THINK FOR A MINUTE YOUR CHICKENS DON'T GET IMPRINTED ON YOU. If you spend enough time with them they will. I have to say there are times I'd like to stick the cot out there and sleep in the run just so they're ok. Of course not on a night like this. [​IMG]

Now my Frenchy has been with me since the beginning. I think she may be broody too. I hope not but she gets to sleep in the nest box of her choice. Plus one of the EE's is taken to staying in a box too, and I found the Sussex sleeping in her usual egg laying area. I put her up on the roost. I do hope she's not broody. Lord have mercy it's freezing out. How could a bird want to have chicks?

Frenchy. She stays with the Dels. She and her daughter Buckwheat. She's a little bantam but she seems ok. I wouldn't think of moving her to another flock. If I could I'd move her into the house but DW won't allow it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  6. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Edited because I triple-posted, so I'll give you a photo of my Banties instead. [​IMG] I love the pocket-sized things.

[​IMG]

7. Henicillin

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Who ordered this weather? This is horrible. The ducks went out this morning, took a bath in their hot water pan, and then ran for the coop, while the majority of the chooks said "yeah, we're good" and stayed inside. Ugh.

8. Henicillin

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    For our new peeps, if you'd like some really nice birds get Delawares from Rancher. I have two pullets (the big one and one from my hatching eggs) and one cockerel (one of the chicks), and they're all big, healthy, and gorgeous. I'll have to make a road trip when I get a broody to buy some Del hatching eggs!

9. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

10. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    His are Pretty ...maybe one ...? or two ? our coop is so small

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by