NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Gramma---we got ours from a small farm hatchery in Jersey and yours is a full red. Lets see if I can post a pic of mine. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not a great pic but when I posted on the rir thread pics of my boys and girls, the breeders said they were pretty close to the standards. I figure thats pretty good coming from a hatchery but they were a small farm so maybe they had better stock. Who knows. All I know is they are laying machines.

Stony---diapers for chickens. At my age, the last thing I want to be doing is putting diapers on chickens. I couldnt get my kids out of diapers fast enough and that was 20 years ago!!! [​IMG]

Gotta go and give the cheep water!

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Okay its cold out there! Even the 60 watt bulbs in the cookie tins are having a hard time keeping the waterers warm enough to flow. I will have to bring out boiling water before I leave and heat everything up. Silkies are in lockdown again today and they arent happy about it. Better safe than sorry. I did get an egg from them already so that was good. Their coop did feel warmer inside than the outside air. Hot water for them this morning. The terrorists are all huddled under their coop as are the big girls under theirs. I have some kale for them before I leave for work. Will probably get some suet cakes as well while I am at work so they get some nice fat to give them a boost.

I need to win the lottery so I can stay home and take care of my cheeps!!!

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My chickens are chilly but all appears to be well. My heated dog bowls, even the outside ones, were not frozen even at minus whatever it was this morning. A good thing! Gave chickens scrambled (ex-frozen) eggs this morning as even the eggs already laid before I got out there were frozen!! I keep them if not cracked but if cracked I feed them back to the birds.

4. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Woke up to -6 degree weather! Good thing I set up the heat lamp yesterday, I dont think those chicks would have made it this morning! Went out to check on them, they are fine and they're water is warm! Thats one less waterer I'll have to tend to! [​IMG] Switched the other's water out and I'm sure I'll have to do that again at least 2 more times today. It's days like these and weather like this that make me glad I work from home. I think I'm going to move the rabbits to the basement - those water bottles are a pain in the neck to defrost and I have to buy extras to swap them out with. Maybe I'll do that today...

Rancher - I love Frenchy! I have to say after all the silkie talk, I'm surprised that you own a frizzle. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    http://chickendiapers.com/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/14070/does-anyone-have-a-pattern-for-chicken-diapers

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ence-with-chicken-diapers-indoor-pet-chickens

6. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I dream of winning the lottery, but never buy tickets!

7. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    -13 this morning...... wow.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Good garden o' peas. While it would be nice to see you when the weather gets better I'll send you some if you pay the shipping. I bought a whole big box of bubble wrap off a guy on CL. for $5. I originally bought it to ship things to the kids in AL and TX but holy smokes postage is a lot for toys. Plus I could buy another present with what it costs.

I only make the offer cuz your so far away. [​IMG]

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I only have one RIR hen. When I went to AL a couple of years ago I got eggs from a friend most of which were RIR's. I gave the roosters to a friend and kept just the two hens. Hers all passed for what ever reason and one day I went out and one of mine was dead too.

This is why I mention "hardy lines". My girl is doing ok. She must be two now.

Your girl looks very nice.

10. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Sounds like a deal! [​IMG]

I opened the pop door this morning. Three birds went out - and promptly turned tail and went back in again. Even the ducks wanted nothing to do with the outdoors, so I locked them up again. They have food, water (the heated bucket is fantastic - the ducks can submerge their heads but not get in and use it as a bathtub), plenty of space, and scratch grains in the litter, so why go out?

The little ceramic heater is working nicely. It's not turned up high, but it's keeping the banties unfrozen and taking the really bad chill off the roost room. Everyone seems fairly cozy, so I'm calling it good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by