NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Cass--You sure we dont have the same husband??? Cause we have all the same things going on here (bullet proof coops, turning over logs, etc.) lol

Stony---thanks for the links but there will NEVER be diapers on any chicken on this property! Mine all live outside, heatless and lightless, like normal chickens should. I realize that some people will bring in their pets and such and thats okay but while I love my cheeps, they will remain outside. Besides, I hate changing diapers. I would rather shovel out a coop!

Had one frozen cracked egg today. First time. Saving it for the cheeps tomorrow. My dd got home in time to give my silkies a warm drink before bed. They had frozen waterers. Big coops seem okay. I will have to look into heated dog bowls for my littles. I do hope we get the warmup they are calling for next week. All my cheeps went out today despite the cold. I took pity on the silkies and let them out. They prefer to be outside unless I make them stay in. The terrorists run out then under their coop, which has a million crators from them digging. The big girls do that too but they have strategicaly pushed all the leaves and dirt into a burm that sheilds them from the wind. Cant decide if that was smart thinkin or dumb luck on their part! [​IMG]

Stay warm everyone.

2. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I may know someone who might want some. I know they were thinking of llamas. Maybe alpacas aren't too far off for them. It would be a very nice home for them. How much is she asking?

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Don't get me wrong folks I've had cracked eggs and some very close I think.

Now I have decided that the reason the Del are hanging around the water cooler is because it's warm. Yes it is. I put my hand on it and can feel the heat. I have to shoo them into the coop.

Can't say why the Orpses don't do it,cuz they got the same kind of heater. Maybe they just haven't figured it out.

Went to periodicals tonight and OMG is it cold out. My kids called me the heat Nazi but I think our pastor is cuz the room had no heat on and it was cold. Didn't get warm even by the time we left. Periodicals are the brochure our church prints up. I sometimes go on thurs and sit there and fold them .

Anyhow when we came out it was murderous cold. I'm now in the office at home where it's eighty and the incu is whining.

4. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    We'll come get some from you, and we don't care if it's raw, as we'd just compost it anyway.

My coop is huge, so the water bucket isn't affecting it - there's no condensation at all in there, and it's right by a glass-paned door, so I'd see it. I give them the bucket when it's so blasted cold that their bowls outdoors freeze, as my schedule is crappy and often I can only water first thing in the morning.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire and Team Tube Feeding XO

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Awesome! The price varies. She's asking $250 for gelded males, $350 for intact males, and $300 for the females, although someone's already interested in one of the girls so there might only be one left. There are pictures in the classified ad I put up :)

6. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Amy,

How much were you thinking of? I do not actually pile mine up any more but spread it daily as to not shovel it twice (once to get it out of the stall, then again to remove it from the pile). Besides, it breaks the work up in small doses, that I can handle by myself and not involve help of the complaining variety. If you have a way to transport it, my neighbor piles hers near the road and gives hers away. I don't know if she currently has takers, but if you are interested, I can get you her phone number.

Ginny

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I think people are getting away from commercial fertilizers. At least I hope so. I have two friends who used to buy bags of commercial fertilizer every year. While they are in the 70's neither is in good health. I wonder sometimes.

For myself I know I'd be doing better in a warmer climate. I'm a sun person.

8. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Rancher, you would probably love the pool I go to. It is on Onondaga Hill, now named Tru Fitness. The pool itself is in need of upgrade, there is a plastic liner which get wrinkled due to ground water eroding the base, BUT the good part is the water is in the upper eighty degrees, it aims for 90. It can be snowing, schools closed, and I will get there. That warm water takes away any muscle soreness. We have an exercise gro, then the arthritis Foundation has a class there, Tues Thurs at 10:30. The ladies I have gotten to know in the locker room love it, and it keeps them moving better.

9. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Glass, I have to agree about the pool. We have one at work(spa). It is kept at 88* and I feel so much better after doing about only 10 minutes of laps. Plus the pool room is so hot! I only swim there in the winter as summer is just too busy.

10. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Oh, we can always go to the stables up the road from us, who pile by the road. If you're ever in a bind and need to get rid of some, though, I'm your woman! [​IMG]

The troops are outdoors today, as I'm around to haul water as needed. I have a friend in Alaska who says it's 40 degrees where she lives, and usually it's sub-zero. I told her I'd found her lost Arctic air, and asked her where she'd like it shipped. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by