NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    What would a day on BYC be without another newbie question from Tough Old Bird? [​IMG] So as to not disappoint, haha, here is one for you experienced chicken gurus to offer guidance on.

Coop design is really coming along, thanks to hubby's efforts and architectural lust. However, he was planning on pressure treated wood. Is this safe for coop construction? I thought I read it was not recommended...but frankly, I've read so much, I can't be sure where I saw that, or if it's something I just assumed.

THANKS (again)!

TOB

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    If I was to guess, I would think no, it's not safe. Only because they are constantly in contact with it, it gets wet, they will probably peck at it from time to time. Didn't they 86 pressure treated lumber for children's playgrounds? I'd vote no. Sorry hubby!

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I would not use pressure treated wood for a coop either.....

4. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    ChickPrincess & vmd.....

Thanks for the quick feedback. He looked at me cross-eyed when I gave PT wood a thumbs down. His next question was, "Not even the posts?!"

I don't want my chickens like this: [​IMG] ... or worse.

We'll have to explore some other alternatives. Much of the coop will be off-ground on account of the hillside. So we will be on posts for the down-slope part of the structure.

TOB

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    When my horse barn was built they wrapped the poles in plastic to help to keep them from leaching into the soil aound the barn. don't know if it helped. No Other PT wood was used in the barn or coops, but all my coops have wheels.......

6. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi again... I just did a little more digging and PT is definitely discouraged. Makes good sense to me to avoid altogether.

TOB

7. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Cedar might be good.......

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Remind me again what a BA is? Yes I liked the Dominiques and would get them again. There were hatchery girls and one was a runt, but they were ok. When I first started I got 3 BO, 3 Aussies, 3 Dels, 3 doms, 3 GLW, 3 Slw's, 3 CM's and 4 frizzles. The hatcheries only carry bantam frizzles or at least they did when I got mine.

I later got 4 Dels from a private person and 4 CM's from someone else.

All these breeds are nice IMO. I gave away the GLW's, Aussies and SLW's as they were bald from being picked on. All the hatchery birds are gone except Frenchy a little frizzle. Who I think is broody by the way. I will give her eggs since she is special.

9. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I have three hatchery Dominique hens, and they're some of the niftiest, most personable little birds in the flock. I recommend them!

10. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire and Team Tube Feeding XO

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Ugh, you wouldn't think it would be so hard to find some darn easter eggers. I have ads on two sections of craigslist, and still nothing. However, lots of people seem to be interested in the alpacas, so that's going well. Is anyone else getting snow? It's started to really come down here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by