NY chicken lover!!!!

Ugh, you wouldn't think it would be so hard to find some darn easter eggers. I have ads on two sections of craigslist, and still nothing. However, lots of people seem to be interested in the alpacas, so that's going well. Is anyone else getting snow? It's started to really come down here.

No I wouldn't think it would be so hard. I've got eggs in the incubator and will candle part of them tomorrow. I've also got 4 pullets though all are black. Maybe splits since the father is a lavender Amer.
My plan is to move everyone in together when spring comes. So it will be Mr. Lav and at least most of the EE girls.

While I do like the pure Amers , I just can't keep another breed. But with Mr. Lav I can get ee's and a variety of shades. Plus EE's are usually more colorful to watch in the yard. Once I breed Mr. Lav back to his daughters I should get more lavs.

The two EE's I've got are colorful is reds and golds. These eggs in the incubator are theirs and Mr. Lavs I hope.

I do have Blue hen from them. We shall see.

How far upstate are you?

Rancher

No I wouldn't think it would be so hard. I've got eggs in the incubator and will candle part of them tomorrow. I've also got 4 pullets though all are black. Maybe splits since the father is a lavender Amer. 
My plan is to move everyone in together when spring comes. So it will be Mr. Lav and at least most of the EE girls. 

While I do like the pure Amers , I just can't keep another breed.  But with Mr. Lav I can get ee's and a variety of shades. Plus EE's are usually more colorful to watch in the yard.  Once I breed Mr. Lav back to his daughters I should get more lavs.

The two EE's I've got are colorful is reds and golds.  These eggs in the incubator are theirs and Mr. Lavs I hope. 

I do have Blue hen from them.  We shall see. 

How far upstate are you?

Rancher

I'm pretty far upstate...looks like I'm three and a half hours from you. I'm literally ON the Vermont border. I'm just barely in New York :p

Morning all! Its 10 this am and a light dusting of snow overnight. Went out to let everyone out and man, did I get an earfull from all the cheeps! Apparently I am responsable for the evil white stuff on the ground and this is unacceptable and we dont like our dainty feet touching any part of the evil white stuff. My ears are still ringing. I called them a bunch of sissy chickens and told them that other chickens go out in the white stuff so suck it up and be chickens, for petes sakes! Bunch of spoiled rotten chickens is what they are. I blame dh. He caters to them (though he would deny it with his dying breath). Anyways, they are stuck with me now as he is away for the week. Chicken momma is no pushover.

The latest edition of Backyard Poultry came and there was an interesting article in there on sex-links. You might enjoy that Rancher. They explain what each cross is of each sexlink and how breeding a sexlink does not make for as good a layer as the mother. Gave me good insight as I have some red sexlinks and wondered what I would get if my rir roos bred them. Guess I wont be hatching any of their eggs. I do have some barred rocks in with those boys and the black sexlinks that would result are easily sexed by the coloring of the chicks, which is good. I find genetics interesting so my freezer will be filling up this summer and fall and I will keep only the best of the best.

Rancher---do you really think that the largest eggs produce the best chicks? You have piqued my curiosity so I will have to research this.

Hoping it warms up enough today so I can do some housekeeping. Time to add some more pine to the coops and fill up oyster shells again. Stay warm everyone!

Ugh, you wouldn't think it would be so hard to find some darn easter eggers. I have ads on two sections of craigslist, and still nothing. However, lots of people seem to be interested in the alpacas, so that's going well. Is anyone else getting snow? It's started to really come down here.
I just rehomed my EE roo a few days ago. A pretty boy, too!

Rancher, BA = Black Australorp. You call them Aussies, I'm guessing? Why did you get rid of them? So far, I LOVE mine.

Note to self...
Do NOT get dried Nustock in your eye. OMG!!! I had 2 deep paper cuts from work yesterday on my first knuckles. Slathered on Nustock (which did a great job healing, BTW. They are half healed already!) and covered with bandaids. Overnight the bandaid on one slipped off and I must've rubbed my eye in my sleep. OOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW! Pieces of dried Nustock floating around in my eye and it hurt so bad! I won't do that again.
Should've thrown some Vetrap over it!
lau.gif
I swear I'm turning IN to a chicken.

Early trip to TSC. I am completely out of feed. They won't be happy this morning.

Did you check w/ Tab ---- Tabschickenobsession ?? I hatched eggs from her last year & bought pullets late this past summer. From the ones I hatched : one lays a light green egg, the other 2 brown, but they are lrg to x-lrg. The pullets I bought just started laying and they all are giving me a a blue-ish-green egg. They just started laying this week, so of course the eggs are still small.
Oh and the ones I hatched are excellent layers. They lay 4 days straight & take a day off, then 4 days straight again............... so thats 6 eggs in 7 days
clap.gif

I'm pretty far upstate...looks like I'm three and a half hours from you. I'm literally ON the Vermont border. I'm just barely in New York
tongue.png

I wonder if you can build your house to extend to just over the border and avoid the taxes here?
lau.gif

I suppose I'd just have to send you eggs if you wanted them. I don't mail chicks. It's just too much work.

Morning all! Its 10 this am and a light dusting of snow overnight. Went out to let everyone out and man, did I get an earfull from all the cheeps! Apparently I am responsable for the evil white stuff on the ground and this is unacceptable and we dont like our dainty feet touching any part of the evil white stuff. My ears are still ringing. I called them a bunch of sissy chickens and told them that other chickens go out in the white stuff so suck it up and be chickens, for petes sakes! Bunch of spoiled rotten chickens is what they are. I blame dh. He caters to them (though he would deny it with his dying breath). Anyways, they are stuck with me now as he is away for the week. Chicken momma is no pushover.

The latest edition of Backyard Poultry came and there was an interesting article in there on sex-links. You might enjoy that Rancher. They explain what each cross is of each sexlink and how breeding a sexlink does not make for as good a layer as the mother. Gave me good insight as I have some red sexlinks and wondered what I would get if my rir roos bred them. Guess I wont be hatching any of their eggs. I do have some barred rocks in with those boys and the black sexlinks that would result are easily sexed by the coloring of the chicks, which is good. I find genetics interesting so my freezer will be filling up this summer and fall and I will keep only the best of the best.

Rancher---do you really think that the largest eggs produce the best chicks? You have piqued my curiosity so I will have to research this.

Hoping it warms up enough today so I can do some housekeeping. Time to add some more pine to the coops and fill up oyster shells again. Stay warm everyone!

I honestly don't know about the largest eggs producing the best chicks, but I figure some one here will jump in and set me straight if I'm wrong.
lol.png

I stocked up on the chips so I have some left but Country Max is having a sale next month and I'll buy some more. It's been so cold the poor birds can't scratch them up as much.

Chickprincess - Do Aussies come in other colors than Black? I never really took to them so I haven't researched them or paid much attention to them. I suppose a nice Red or Barred Aussie would be nice.
I'm hoping the feed I got will hold out til the first of the month. Lord have mercy it can be a pain being retired. Though I probably wouldn't have chickens other wise.

Folks keep in mind that if you come to the picnic this summer folks will bring chicks, chickens and/or eggs. If there is something you need. Kinda gives you more of a reason to come and meet your BYC friends.

Perhaps this year I'll just bring a bunch of eggs to give away. Most of the time I have buyers for eating eggs and none to hatch. I had to tell folks their wouldn't be any over the holidays. Poor DW had to buy eggs to bake with. Not to mention my GK's were here and we needed them for the house.
smile.png

Now it looks like Frenchy is broody. I was taking the eggs from under her and sticking them in my pocket (I've yet to break one in there) and she was tucking them back under herself before I could get them all in. I left her with a small one that I hope is hers or Buchwheats. I will also give her some EE' and BM's since I can tell those from any Del eggs that might get laid in there.
The plan is to move her after they hatch. If they hatch.
Nothing sadder than not having chicks after all that work is there? For the hen I mean.

Well take care and stay warm.

Rancher

Haven't been on the past few days because we've been busy with frozen pipes. The birds are doing ok but they don't really like the cold. I don't blame them.

Dh just left his parent's house to thaw their pipes. They haven't had water in 5 days!

Rancher,
I do not believe Australorps come in any other colors. Just the solid black. I personally like the color (the roos are beautiful in the sun!), but I don't care too much about coloring. I got them because they are supposed to be excellent layers. So far, so good, but they are very small eggs right now. They all seem to have nice personalities and are wintering over well.

I honestly don't know about the largest eggs producing the best chicks, but I figure some one here will jump in and set me straight if I'm wrong.
lol.png

I stocked up on the chips so I have some left but Country Max is having a sale next month and I'll buy some more. It's been so cold the poor birds can't scratch them up as much.

Chickprincess - Do Aussies come in other colors than Black? I never really took to them so I haven't researched them or paid much attention to them. I suppose a nice Red or Barred Aussie would be nice.
I'm hoping the feed I got will hold out til the first of the month. Lord have mercy it can be a pain being retired. Though I probably wouldn't have chickens other wise.

Folks keep in mind that if you come to the picnic this summer folks will bring chicks, chickens and/or eggs. If there is something you need. Kinda gives you more of a reason to come and meet your BYC friends.

Perhaps this year I'll just bring a bunch of eggs to give away. Most of the time I have buyers for eating eggs and none to hatch. I had to tell folks their wouldn't be any over the holidays. Poor DW had to buy eggs to bake with. Not to mention my GK's were here and we needed them for the house.
smile.png

Now it looks like Frenchy is broody. I was taking the eggs from under her and sticking them in my pocket (I've yet to break one in there) and she was tucking them back under herself before I could get them all in. I left her with a small one that I hope is hers or Buchwheats. I will also give her some EE' and BM's since I can tell those from any Del eggs that might get laid in there.
The plan is to move her after they hatch. If they hatch.
Nothing sadder than not having chicks after all that work is there? For the hen I mean.

Well take care and stay warm.

Rancher
Is there going to be a get together/picnic this summer ??

Back
Top Bottom