NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Gotcha!!

2. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Certainly nothing can speak like ownership experience, and I can't help you there... but from what I read on their breed, the highlights are this:

• Good & dependable layer (medium, cream-colored egg)
    • Tolerates confinement reasonably well, but best suited for foraging situation
    • Good flyer; needs good fencing, if confined
    • Roosters can be exceptionally loud
    • Occasionally exhibits aggressive behavior
    • Descended from the Malay

Hope this helps a little!

TOB

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Now this is why I chose the breeds I did. No way I'll chasing chickens through the woods. I hardly chase the ones I got. I just figure they'll come home by themselves.

Also I chose cuz I want at the very least a large sized egg. I'm hatching so if any don't lay large I can trade them out.

Dominiques lay a medium size and that's why they went. I did like their rosecomb though.

Now the forageing part is good for reduced feed during better weather.

I also chose breeds not prone to picking. Some are more likely than others if they are confined. The Dominiques weren't.

Some breeds are better winter layers than others. I'm finding the Sussex and Birchen Marans are this way. This A.M. I heard squawking and went out and a BM hen had laid an egg. It was cold, they have no extra light but seem good. They don't have a run to be in either.

EE's are hybrid so if you cross an Ameraucana with a better laying breed you might get a better laying EE. I have two they lay very well and nice sized eggs.

I have two others who lay well but lay a smaller egg. They are both Amer and EE crosses. I can keep EE hens with any of the other flocks too, so I won't need an extra coop to have them.

My plan is to hatch only the largest eggs of any of the breeds and work with those.

5. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I was right in my original thought. They want to stick with llamas. [​IMG]

6. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

7. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Rancher , I have EE/leghorn crosses from Tab and Travis. They lay large beautiful, light blue eggs. They stated laying at 5 months and were very prolific layers until nov/dec. just confirming your statement or EE crosses!!

8. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    agreed. My home made ee/sumatra crosses lay like crazy. Notblue eggs but they lay almost every day without fail. Their mothers...ppppppppppppphhhhhhhhtttttttttttt [​IMG]

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I do plan my own crosses. If I cross them with these BM's they should lay very well and nice sized too. Olive I would think. I bet the Amer and Sussex hen would produce some nice hens. She's a laying fool. I just love chickens don't you?

Now I got a calender from CM and it has coupons for each month. This months is for Loyall dog food, save $4 on a 40# bag and Nutrena Stock and Stable $1 off. If anyone wants them just pm or e-mail me your address and I'll send them to you. Exp 1/31. I'll let you know what next months are. I only have chickens and there isn't one for them til April I think. I should have snagged more calenders.

Take care and stay warm.

Rancher

10. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    TOB thanks for the info...flighty I don't mind, the aggressiveness I won't put up with again. They looked pretty and I would like something that goes broody once in a while, I refuse to get a silkie.

Rancher, way to twist my arm, I'll just have to make sure I get a true ameraucana this time around. You're pretty satisfied with your dom's? I've been eying them for a year.

Can anyone tell I'm daydreaming about what breeds I would like to get this spring? Good thing I don't have an incubator...I would be in trouble.
    I really like my EE's and the BA roo. But I love having each chicken look completely different so I'm dabbling!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by