NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    It's a balmy 2F in the Champlain Valley. We have no snow. I posted here a very long while ago, but am looking to join back in. Also will be looking for heritage chicks or hatching eggs in a bit. Going to lurk a while to see if any breeders are here and sell hatching eggs. How has everyone been weathering this winter?

2. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Amazingly enough, yesterday, I got 2 dozen eggs! Thats almost better than in the spring!

Is spring coming soon [​IMG]& we don't know about it!

At least its sunny today...Had to separate my Marans roo, his comb was frostbit, & apparently the hens were picking at it....blood all down his hackles....yuck. At least he will get some sun today in the east pen. Bad girls![​IMG]

3. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Amazing what some sunshine can do for a person's mental outlook -- and maybe a chicken's, too! 2 dozen eggs: WOW!

Hope your Maran roo is healed up quick so he can rejoin his lady friends.

TOB

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. marquisella

Jan 30, 2009

5. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    All winter I've been clinging to the thought of spring. Planning my garden and chicken projects. Seeing the daffodils and tulips in the the market really have me geared up. I am thinking of planting grapes to grow on our arbor, fending off the deer should be a challenge. We have 2 HUGE does and their fawns that come up to the house, so keep grapes may be an uphill battle. My husband would love to grow enough grapes to make his own wine.

Poor roo!

6. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Just in case anyone is interested in breeders I have 2 silkies roos available. Typey boys and fantastic bloodlines. PM me if interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aria

Aria Overrun With Chickens

Oct 15, 2010
    YES, feed is always taxed. We used Blue Seal from Tractor Supply
    for years. Later we noticed new packaging and less protein.

Thanks to Amy we now use Agway that is 21% protein. AND it is
    the same price as Tractor Supply Blue Seal. Go figure?

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've got an ad posted to CL for hatching eggs.

My Marans are laying very well as are the Dels. The orp coop is doing good too.

The CR's are from GA and a nice sized bird if your looking for real dual purpose birds. They take a bit longer to mature but if you're raising them for food, you'll want to keep a supply going. They're the biggest I've got. I will definitely be keeping them and adding to the flock.

I've got Marans in the incubator but to be honest they are doing so well and have been I'm not sure I'll want to part with chicks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  9. marquisella

Jan 30, 2009
    I am selling hatching eggs, Brabanters, Coronation Sussex. Waiting on the Lavendar Orps & Silkies. I don't sell Marans eggs, just day old chicks. I have blue copper & black coppers. My egg list is a couple of weeks out now. PM me if you are interested in any of them.

10. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Well I was back at the doctors yesterday. My youngest had 102* temp all day and it turned out she has an ear infection. Now both of my girls are on antibiotics.

Can't wait to candle the eggs this weekend and see how fertility is in my birds. I'm thinking about flock turn over in the spring and getting rid of some of the older ones. Need to make some room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by