NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Poor thing! Ear infections are the worst. My girls often ask for the "rice sock" (a huge and clean tube sock filled with rice) to put on their ear when it hurts. Put it in the microwave until warm and have them rest their head on it. Always makes them feel better. Works great for aches and pains on us older folks too. [​IMG]

2. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Ugh, it's tough when you can't seem to break the sick cycle, and nothing so tough as having kids under the weather. I hate when my boys are sick and don't sleep well until I know they're OK. The good news is antibiotics are usually pretty effective on ear infections, so hopefully everyone will be feeling much better in the next few days.

Hang in there! [​IMG]

TOB

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Wahooooo!!! 27 eggs today from 35 girls! Many are teeny, tiny since they are the BA's that just started to lay. I sell the very small eggs for $1 a dozen.
    It seems my other hens (other than the black australorps) never went through a phase of laying tiny eggs. When they laid and egg from the beginning it was normal sized. What's up with the BA's doing that? How long do they lay tiny eggs for before they are normal sized?

4. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Wow, the sunshine and longer days must be making everyone's chickens shift into DRIVE. [​IMG]

TOB

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I do wish these BR's would move. I think it's just to cold for them in their coop. Though it would be hard to understand since the rooster is the only one without frostbite to his comb. I think it's cuz he sleeps on the floor, though now it's on a bale of straw I put in there.
    I'm fixin to hang some white Christmas lights inside the run. I added and adapter so I can plug in more than one thing.

I'll be warming up the back room to receive chicks tomorrow so when and if they hatch on Saturday I can take them right out there. No more brooding in the office. Lord have mercy the dust what like I don't know what.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Lord don't I know about these things. I've got scarring on my drums from infections. My mother never took me to the doctor for such things. I used to fill plastic bleach bottles with hot water to rest my ear on.
    Every new ENT asks me on my first visit. "Did you have a lot of ear infections when you were young"?

Well now Tab , make sure they get some rest. Lots of hot cocoa with marshmallows. [​IMG]

Take care,

7. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    My husband temporarily fenced off a good part of the upper back yard with bird netting (to be replaced with chicken wire when the ground softens) so that our dogs don't run down into the woods unsupervised. So, I let the troops out to mosey around back there for a couple of hours. The goofy things were more interested in following me around than in exploring. It's like having groupies.

I did have words with Captain Morgan, my chief rooster. He kept giving me stinkeye, and then rushed up to me, grabbed the front of my skirt with his beak and tried flogging me. I usually wear ankle-length skirts because they're comfortable, so he only got a beakful of cloth, and was sent off-balance when I stepped backwards. I shoved him away none too gently with my foot, deflected another attempted bite with the corner of my jacket, and then stalked him all over the yard for a while until he ran like he had devils on his tailfeathers every time I approached him. Respect mah authoritah, rooster!

8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Depends on the hen. My large fowl laid like 3 smaller than normal ones then they grew and by the end of the second week of laying they were full sized. So not long. Enjoy the little eggs, they make the cutest deviled eggs. (Add a sliced stuffed green olive and they become eyeballs. LOL)

9. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Forecast shows a trending up in the temperatures through the week and into the weekend (last I heard, anyway)! However, a little snow coming over the next couple of days &/or nights.

TOB

10. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Exact same thing here, Rancher. Although it's probably been over 30 years since I've suffered from one, I can conjure up that ungodly pain like it was yesterday. Hot water bottles and heating pads were what my Mom hauled out, but I can't honestly say they helped much. I could not only feel the throb, but hear it as well. It was deafening, no pun intended! A horrible and bizarre feeling, and I don't miss those infections one bit even if they did earn me a day or two home from school. [​IMG]

TOB

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by