NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    ROFL! I feel so lucky to have two roos that give me my space. Never even had the stinkeye from them. Good boys. Hoping it stays that way!
    Welcome (back?)!

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    No Columbian Rocks. [​IMG]

3. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been seeing tracks but never considered it might be fox. It's hard to tell. I do know rabbit tracks and I did see some that I think were deer since they were far apart at one point and not fat.

Some I noticed going up to the coop but didn't seem to hang around and not all that big. I figured cat but the snow is so deep it's hard to tell. I expect I'll be going out there in the middle of the night to see. I usually wake up around four and may take a walk.

I have't been marking since the snow is so deep and my spots are on the edges of the woods. Looks like I step it up. I've never seen tracks before.

4. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Is there anyway to get hens or a hen to go broody ?
    Is it true hatchery birds usually dont go broody ?
    Id like a few chicks (2 -4 )...I dont have a incubator ..Not willing to spend $ 200.00 on one either.
    Should I borrow a silky ? LOL

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Sounds Like they will be on the road to recovery now ..This constantly changing weather gets everyone sick .

It sounds like your Hens & mine are related ..Marans are black right ? My Australorp Roo was a mess too ..I was glad he was black harder to see the blood all around his neck .
    Can you imagine if they were a white roos ? OUCH ! Bad Girls I told them
    I was telling a friend about my hens picking on my roo...he said they must be feminists.

6. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Columbian Rock! Even better!

7. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Fox prints are so delicate, some times you'd almost assume they were a big house cat. A good way to tell the difference with canine vs. feline prints is that cats pull their claws in, so there will be no toenail imprint. With a fox, coyote or even someone's pet dog, you should see toenail imprints in the snow. Of course, depending on the snow, prints are not always clear. I've had a gray and red fox here on my back trails, along with coyotes. I need to have a very good predator-proof pen and coop.

Interesting link: http://www.bear-tracker.com/redfox.html

TOB

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I am donating eggs to the Kindergarten in my school district. I get the chicks back. I don't know where Jordan is, in NY....but once the chicks are at my house (sometime in April) I will gladly give you as many or as few as you want. The teachers want a dozen eggs each and there are 4 classrooms hatching....at even a 50% hatch rate I am not going to be able to raise 24 chicks so I will be giving them away by the handfuls. I just plan to keep the Ameruacanas for layers and the rest I will put in the freezer.

As far as I know there is no way to get a hen to go broody, it's hormonal. You could try putting some ceramic or wooden eggs in a nest box and leaving them there and see if that induces or entices one of them to go broody....but don't count on it. And yes, it is my understanding that many breeds of hatchery birds have lost interest in hatching their own babies because they never have seen it done.

9. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Morning All,
    We're getting more snow today, doesn't seem to be sticking much though so that's good.

Adora - Beautiful boys you have there!!!

I saw this on CL the other day and thought it was neat...

[​IMG]

10. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    While I can't vouch for it's validity. I keep wooden eggs in all the nest boxes to show newbies where to lay the egg. Hens for some reason like to lay their eggs with others. Perhaps it's part of their base survival instinct, like many other birds.

That said, don't I seem to have a problem with broody hens, though they are in charge and decide when to brood. The only exception to this theory is my Dels who never go broody even though I wish they would. If anyone has Dels who go broody let me know and where you got them.

Right now Frenchy is sitting on three eggs. She's my oldest girl and can do whatever she wants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by