NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I have buckeyes. Don't know if I will be selling any this year as there are some things I would like to breed out. Hopefully next year. Unless of course you want utility.......

2. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Same here, terrible infections! I burst my eardrum a few years ago, that was pain! I was in labor with my second child well over 30 hours. I would take labor any day of the week in comparison to an ear drum bursting. I literally wanted to rip my ear right off of my head. Horrible pain.

Jello and pudding too. :)

3. ag29ande

ag29ande Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Delanson, ny
    Oh the fox was back last night! Lots of rabbit tracks and some fox tracks in the snow this morning. The hens were locked up tight, so no damage. He/she was doing a lot of investigation.

I think I'm going to need to invest in a large havahart trap. Anyone have experience with trapping foxes? What do I do if I actually catch the critter?

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Ugh, well, I hate to say it but most people will tell you that IF you catch the fox, you'll have to kill it as relocating it will just piss it off and it will make it back. :p Plus, in a lot of places it's illegal. I gave up catching my fox -s/he was way smarter than I am. I put up 15K volt electric netting everywhere and no more fox. :p

Tried to trap mine forever with no luck!

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Ahahaha! I have the same issue with Olaf and Hane. They will be good for a while and then decide to take me on. Usually results in me pinning them to the floor (silently on my part) and letting them squawk it out till they give up. After that, they hide from me and then keep a respectful distance. Chicken Momma dont play dat!

6. TheBarnSwallow

TheBarnSwallow [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Lit

HOWDY YALL,

Apologies for delay in ever visiting, its been quite a busy and interesting past year, since we closed on the Farmhouse back this past March. The chicks we bought back in May and June have all begun laying in this crazy North Country weather and in January we collected 112 eggs, and we are still counting.. Its insane, we got eggs coming out of our ears and we have done nothing no different to expecting eggs(no extra light or heat lamp of the sort) I am thinking that when the kids and I gutted out the coop and insulated/sheetrocked the inside it might have helped retain their body heat... [​IMG] but hey we are not complaining.. Of course now that my hubster has returned home from deployment he is getting antsy for more birds.. LOL...

Anyhooty, I hope to be on here a bit more now that things are getting easier to manage with hubby home :)

7. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Oh, my! So many to choose from! My sister lives in Cazenovia, and I have in-laws in Rochester which we visit frequently. I was thinking maybe I could do a drive by on the way home from her place. I'm visiting next week, but I brood with an ecoglow and don't have any place other than the house to brood this tme of year. I'm hoping maybe in April I can grab a few eggs from Rancher, marquisella, and VMD. This way I don't have to worry as much about shipping issues. It's the long way home if I do that, but it's worth it in my mind! Rancher, I am assuming CR=Corninsh Rock?

I am thinking, depending on the timing of things... marquisella will you have marans chicks in April?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Also, I got a BCM in April from my pet chicken last year, and I swear she has laid fewer than 2 dozen eggs in total. And they are not very dark in color, of course. I am a bit disappointed, but I knew what I was getting when ordering from a hatchery.

9. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    LOLOL at this and at Pharmchick's rooster discipline tale!! [​IMG] Can just picture it all -- you gave me a good laugh.

TOB

10. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    . Meant to edit above post.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by