1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I suppose it's to late to put some wooden eggs in the nest boxes. I don't think chickens are as stupid as they'd have us believe. A few pecks on the wooden egg and they might get the idea ALL eggs are to hard to crack open.

I won't say I've never had eggs eaten but not to often. The last time was when a broody had eggs on the floor under a nest box.

I had brooded eggs disappear too, but I'm not sure why or who. I think hens can tell a bad egg and dispose of it. No sign of an egg at all. Just like it disappeared. I've had broody's push the wooden egg to the side and the same with duds.

Right now I think Frenchy has a dud as it looked as though it was pushed aside. I'll candle her eggs tonight.

Got an egg from the BR coop today. I hope that's a good sign. There is that back door that is covered by only the tarp hanging down and it might be too cold in there. I just don't know why, if it is the rooster has no frost bite. They're from Kathy in MO and gorgeous looking birds. The best I have IMO. They just started laying this past spring.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Very funny.

Can you think of any for "Dark Shadows" and "The Edge of Night" ? I remember The Edge of Night coming on in the middle of the day when I was 3 or 4 yrs old and in the hospital.

3. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Hugs from the silkies lover. [​IMG]

4. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    "Dark Feathers" And "The Egg of Night" ?

How about "Little Coop on the Pairie" and "Roonanza"? Of course if they have TVLand channel down there they might be watching "The Partridge Family" LOL Or "The Broody Bunch"

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    That has happened around here too. Since I have no way of knowing who is laying good eggs and who is laying bad eggs I just put them under and cross my fingers. I have had several brooded eggs just dissappear. POOF! Just gone with no trace. The rest of the eggs in the batch hatched, so maybe momma hen does know which are duds and which are viable and somehow dissappears the bad eggs.

6. Snob Doctor

Snob Doctor Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Central New York
    Hi I'm Mallory! I'm about 25 minutes south from Syracuse, and I need to add some broody hens to my flock.. I want some chicks this spring and apparently my hens aren't particularly broody breeds. So I'm looking to buy some cochins or silkies (I already have a silkie rooster.) If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated! [​IMG]

7. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Speaking of silkies...I have been trying to talk one of my hens, Julia, into going broody. She's been thinking about it, but she still hasn't quite committed to the job. So, Julia has been laying, but I haven't been collecting her eggs from the box. I've been catching her sitting on them for the last couple of days. I marked the eggs by date and put them back in the box, she keeps pushing one of them out. Is she trying to tell me something? My show hens are laying now, they always seem to lay when I have eggs in the incubator, this time the timing was perfect and I set their eggs last night. I still have a few more eggs I'd like to set, especially from my dark splash hen. I think I need to go and have another talk with Julia about hatching and raising babies.

My show hen Isabel's chick is 4 months old now and looks like a pullet, looks just like mom, only prettier! She is in need of a name. My blue ladies all begin with the letter I. Isabel, Ingrid, Iris, Irina.
    Any thoughts on a name?

8. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Rancher, I have 4 BR, Stewie and the three Gabbys. Stewie is the oldest, and of the eggs that I have been getting, I think only one BR is laying. I bet it's Stewie. The Gabbys were chicks last Spring or early Summer. Maybe the young ones are taking a while to get going. Maybe next year they will be earlier to start, like Stewie. Stewie is back to pecking my leg when I wear blue jeans, never does it when I wear black pants. I think my SS hen lays the lightest creamy colored egg. Today, after Fawn was apprehended, I found a creamy colored egg in a nest box. All the other eggs like it have been in strange places. Poor thing, her hatch mates were both roos, so she had to learn about eggs all by herself, the older hens don't seem to be too helpful. The sussex eggs are infrequent, or maybe they are Fawn's favorites.

Vm, don't you ferment feed too? Perhaps the lentils could go into that. I'd like to learn about that sometime. Probably after I master this type of sprouting. Used to sprout for the family years ago, so this didn't seem too much of a stretch.

I think I heard that filling an eggshell with mustard was a way to break a chicken of egg eating. ???

9. larry529

larry529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    "I did have words with Captain Morgan, my chief rooster. He kept giving me stinkeye, and then rushed up to me, grabbed the front of my skirt with his beak and tried flogging me. I usually wear ankle-length skirts because they're comfortable, so he only got a beakful of cloth, and was sent off-balance when I stepped backwards. I shoved him away none too gently with my foot, deflected another attempted bite with the corner of my jacket, and then stalked him all over the yard for a while until he ran like he had devils on his tailfeathers every time I approached him. Respect mah authoritah, rooster! "

lmfao, sounds like a dinner chicken :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  10. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    How about Isis ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by