NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Pharm,
    I made one last week and found a pattern on a thread here. Do a search for hen saddles. It was one of the first posts. I used elastic for around the wings, but they suggested 4 1/2" long. I would go with 5". Let me know if you can't find it.

My chickens have been FEASTING!!! I love having a new principal at school who believes in recycling. I have a 1 gallon bucket. Yesterday it was filled with french toast (not my first choice, but beggers can't be choosers!), apples, bananas and half eaten PBJ sandwiches.
    Today it was wedding soup (pasta and lots of spinach), broccoli, cauliflower, peaches, PBJ's and a few odds and ends. PBJ's are on whole wheat, too. :)
    LOVING this! They get it after school, so they go to bed on a full tummy.

There's plenty of food, so I'm also sharing with the teacher next door who also has chickens. The kids like the idea that they are composting.

I think the peeps will hunt me down on the weekends... no food bucket! [​IMG]

2. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, regardless of who has or hasn't lost interest in Delawares, I think this is very eggciting! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG](to show you I mean it!)

Did you see any new (fox?) prints, Rancher? New snow on the way; it might be easier to tell.

TOB

3. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    You and I must be very close to each other. I'm not far from Otisco Lake.

Welcome to the NY coop!

TOB

4. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Me, too -- this one's PERFECT!

Amazing. I never would have thought a cracked egg (embryo) could make it successfully to hatching. Great thinking with the wax to seal it up.

TOB

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. Snob Doctor

Snob Doctor Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Central New York

I am! Tully/otisco area :p

6. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

7. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

8. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Pharm - it is super easy ..You start with pellets or crumble or scratch ( it can be a mix of all if you like ) add some apple cider vinegar with mother in it ..( 1-2 tablespoons ) Cover the feed with water . let it set in a warm place ..leave the lid a little off ..in a couple of days it should be ready ..to eat .
    as longs as you keep some liquid in it you dont need to add more vinegar ..You just add more water & feed as needed .
    I use the one bucket method . The food will rise to the top ..of the thinner liquid below .You can either serve it as is or strain it . I strain it ..the liguid that drains goes back into the original bucket
    to continue the fermentation ..you just basically skim the thicker stuff that has risen to the top ..Deborah

Heres a link also
    http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html

9. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

10. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, we can't get much closer than that! Looking forward to talking everything chicken with you! [​IMG]

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by