NY chicken lover!!!!

Well, regardless of who has or hasn't lost interest in Delawares, I think this is very eggciting!
jumpy.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif
(to show you I mean it!)

Did you see any new (fox?) prints, Rancher? New snow on the way; it might be easier to tell.

TOB

No new prints though I have been out there "marking" as many trees as I can.

As for Dels. Chicks are due to hatch tomorrow but one little guy/gal, couldn't wait and hatched this am. A Del I'm sure. Others have started but they can take their time.

I also got a surprise in the pullet coop. A nice green egg. It was on the floor and cracked from the cold. I hadn't expected them to start this early. I'm not sure which hen as there are four EE's in there. I expected the BR to start first.

I'm washing a bucket to make a nest box to put in there.

The Queen is coming to inspect the new chicks today.

Has everyone seen the video of the little girl and her first train ride. She is so cute. You have to google it.

Last edited:
Chick, the only thing I would be careful of is feeding to much salt to your chickens. Salt can be toxic to chickens. I would still do it, but I may eliminate the saltier foods.........

I am leaving for work soon and plan on spending the night there. Batten down the hatches, thars a storm a comin"!!! Be well everyone. (we'll probably only get 3 inches and some wind.......)

Well I've got plenty of coffee and food, so I wouldn't mind 4 feet of snow. Snow is good insulation and it has to be warmer to snow. I snow blowed some path around the yard for the chickens to play.

I know hubby would like some buff orps, that was his favorite girl in the Amish coop. But I think distance is a problem for us - you were near Vermont, right? I'm between Cortland and Binghamton.
hmm.png
Hope everyone posts pics of their little fuzzy chicks, Little Girl loves seeing the baby chick pics!

I was thinking of driving down to see Jody in PA. She's got nice buffs and you are probably closer than I am. I've got Lavenders from her and I'll be curious to see how this one in the incubator turns out. I honestly think the black roosters I have from her are splits, but we shall have to wait and see.

Its snowing and blowing and my silkies are out playing. The terrorists and divas are hiding under their coops just watching everything. They are also stalking the windows and doors and if they think they see someone coming by a window, they all come running out hoping for the magic red can to appear with goodies. Mean Marge is very good at detecting any movement by the kitchen window. She will come running out all puffed up and looking very Margelike (you have to see her to appreciate this) and starts bawking in hopes that you will hear her demands for goodies. Dang chickens are spoiled rotten and I blame dh for this. He claims they tell him that I was mean and not meeting their needs so he goes out and gives them treats. I told him fat chickens dont lay although I dont think my rirs will ever get fat cause they are too busy all the time!

Thanks for the info on where to find saddles and fermenting feed. I am going to try doing that this week when I get some apple cider vinegar with mother. Have to pick up some material to sew some saddles as well. I want heavyweight ones as the boys have some spurs on them.

I tried to get my silkies to go inside out of the snow but it seems they are not having it. I had to dig an egg out that one of the girls laid in the pen and then buried as far down as she could. I'm like really? Managed to get it out without breaking it.

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm. I have to get back to my squares. I have 22 more to crochet before I can start putting together the baby blanket I am working on. No idle hands here!

As for Dels. Chicks are due to hatch tomorrow but one little guy/gal, couldn't wait and hatched this am. A Del I'm sure. Others have started but they can take their time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LITTLE DELAWARE! WELCOME TO THE WORLD!
frow.gif

Rancher, my son and I would love to see pics o' the chicks whenever you get some time.

TOB

...Mean Marge is very good at detecting any movement by the kitchen window. She will come running out all puffed up and looking very Margelike (you have to see her to appreciate this) and starts bawking in hopes that you will hear her demands for goodies.

Sharing a name with Marge, I am not sure whether to laugh or be offended...
wink.png

TOB

Pharm, I think the pattern had called for an 8 1/2" square to start a saddle. For a RIR, you might want to cut that down to 7". I did 8" and that was still a little too large for my red sex link.
Chick, the only thing I would be careful of is feeding to much salt to your chickens. Salt can be toxic to chickens. I would still do it, but I may eliminate the saltier foods.........

I am leaving for work soon and plan on spending the night there. Batten down the hatches, thars a storm a comin"!!! Be well everyone. (we'll probably only get 3 inches and some wind.......)
Being the school, and the NYS guidelines that they have to follow, there's not a huge amount of salt. I do make sure to pull out potato chips and such. :)
My youngest son is 11 and my older son 15. The older one wanted to name one of the hens "Richard", but I believe our protests got thru. My younger son tosses names around already, but as you said, some times it's nice to see what the personality of the hen is before you christen it! I told him the possibilities were endless, so give them some thought. Half the fun...

I LOVE the unique names your kids selected! Earwig!
lol.png

TOB
So far we have had (rooster names) Henry, Oreo, Oscar (our school bus character is Oscar the Grouch) and Rooster Cogburn (I guess from a John Wayne movie... dh's idea).
I have way too many hens to name. lol

No new prints though I have been out there "marking" as many trees as I can.

I also got a surprise in the pullet coop. A nice green egg. It was on the floor and cracked from the cold. I hadn't expected them to start this early. I'm not sure which hen as there are four EE's in there. I expected the BR to start first.

I'm washing a bucket to make a nest box to put in there.

The Queen is coming to inspect the new chicks today.

Has everyone seen the video of the little girl and her first train ride. She is so cute. You have to google it.
Rancher - & anyone else with suggestions.
I have a mixed layer flock. I need to figure out how to tell if the older girls are laying & if so how many eggs/week. Any ideas how to do this ? I don't have the space to seperate them , nor trap nest them. I don't want to sound "cold" but if the girls are not earning their keep............................. they have to go.

So far we have had (rooster names) Henry, Oreo, Oscar (our school bus character is Oscar the Grouch) and Rooster Cogburn (I guess from a John Wayne movie... dh's idea).

Great names, but I am especially fond of "Rooster Cogburn" (John Wayne's tough character in True Grit) because we nicknamed my dad that after he took up a B.B. gun hobby many years ago. He passed away in '93, but we still talk about how good a shot Dad was with the B.B. gun!
smile.png
No one could beat him at targets.

TOB

Back
Top Bottom