NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Hi from East Nassau! We're sort of neighbors. County neighbors. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I have eight inches of snow or so here. The chooks are disgusted, but the ducks don't care - they're out "swimming" in it.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I haven't read ahead so I don't know if someone else has answered this, but. A couple of ideas. One you can buy cheap colored zip ties and use colors to distinguish one year from another. Etc. white for 2011 and blue for 2012.

The method of checking if a hen is laying is to pick her up and check her "pelvic bones". These are near her vent/butt. Measure her bones by putting two fingers side by side and if the width of her bones is that wide, it's determined she is laying. If they are not that wide than she most likely is not. Perhaps resting but you would know that.

Keep in mind folks that everyone has their favorites and if you like her and she's not laying, keep her. It's been a long time since I got Frenchy and I don't know when she last laid an egg, but I don't care. She is however sitting on eggs and I don't really care if she hatches them or not. I love her.

Commerical farms practice what is called " All IN / All Out. After a period of time they dump the whole flock and bring in a whole new flock. This works well with hybrids since their quality laying time is more predictable. They may lay a few eggs after that period but not enough to warrant the commercial egg farmer from feeding her. This is why hybrids are sometimes referred to as "terminal birds".

My point, if you are keeping chickens for just eggs and have no problem with falling in love with them, then hybrids are fine. On the other hand if you're like me and occasionally one will steal your heart, you'd do better with pure breeds since their laying time is the same amount of eggs as a hybrid but over a longer period of time.

Hope this isn't to much information, I know it's more than you asked for.

Rancher

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    Thanks Rancher......................... I definetly have my favs................ and they will stay. I will be checking the girls " pelvic bones ". I have some production hybrids that are older, those are the ones I'm trying to determine if they are laying. I also have 5 Light Brahmas that will be 2 next month. They are non-hatchery, I'm not sure how long they will lay. I'm still a newbie and am learning new stuff every day [​IMG]

This is my hobby.......so All in -All out is NOT an option.......................I love my girls <3

Thanks for the advice Juanita

4. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013

We got about 9" of snow here, near Otisco Lake. It's over the boots, so wet pants. Hey, at least the sun is shining (more or less)!

Lucky the rooster got lucky to find area to dust this time of year!! I always love to see pic's, so post when you can.

TOB

6. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Julia looks very peaceful, or perhaps she's concentrating very hard on her eggs! So sweet!

TOB

7. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Hi Kit-Kat! The more the merrier, I say. [​IMG]

TOB

8. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I would recommend using a dropper of somekind, instead of straight out of the food coloring bottle. The first time I use the coloring on the hen, I actually insert the the dropper just inside to vent to place the color. Be sure to fully color the outside of the vent, as well. Smear it all around. I am able to go 3 days without needing to re-color. The hen will poo out the majority of the color, but it does leave just enough to deposit the color on the egg. Even just a single spot on the egg is enough. I generally color hens at night or before 1pm. My hens like to lay between 1-1:30, cooky little things. Hope this helps.[​IMG]
    Thanks! She's a sweetie, not prickly like some. Welcome! We are always happy to have newcomers. [​IMG]

9. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    Thanks...............I'll try again.

10. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I candled the eggs that she is sitting on right now, they don't have any growth. I am thinking that they got too cold while she was making up her mind on whether or not she wanted to set. It's fine by me, I have 4 or 5 extra eggs from Isabel that didn't fit in the incubator, I'll put those under her tonight. She's good hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by