NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    [​IMG] Julia on her eggs. I think that we may have come to an understanding.

2. Kit-Kat

Kit-Kat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Troy, NY
    She's beautiful! I'm down to two silkies now thanks to a particularly murderous hawk, but they're nowhere near that fluffy!

Just thought I'd pop into the thread while waiting out this storm- I find myself browsing these forums more and more lately and figured I should maybe post something! Hello!

3. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Well if you want we can blame you for it ! LOL It is coming down here too .
    You asked about chickens dust bathing ..This is the side of our deck we throw potted plants there ..
    Guess what I found Lucky doing today ? Another hen wanted to get in there with him ..He wouldnt let her ..gave her a peck! Its ALL MINE ! I will add some pics tomorrow

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. Pyxis

Pyxis On Goose Egg Watch Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Yeah, I'm right near Vermont. I travel to Glens Falls, but that's about as far in as I ever get...

5. Pyxis

Pyxis On Goose Egg Watch Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

I've never done this personally, but I've heard that you can put a different color food coloring on the vent of each bird at night before they lay, and when/if they lay, a little food coloring will rub off onto the egg and there you go.

6. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    mark. now to shovel.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    going out to snowblow in a bit myself. Got 6 or 7 inches here..

Had a service appt for my jeep today but moving it because I didn't feel like clearing the snow out just yet :p. If the schuylerville auction is running today might go over there - have some NN cockerels I NEED to get out of here but might be able to keep them another week - they are outgrowing the brooder big time. :p (blue/buff/black if anyone wants one or all).

I kept the lights on in my big coop last night because a few of my lighter chickens like roosting in the rafters right in front of the ventilation areas - didn't know if the snow would blow right on them in the dark, but turns out very little snow got in the coop so all was well.

8. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I use this method, it works well. You have to do it every couple of days though.

9. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

I've heard about people using lipstick on their vents. Let's just hope they don't put it back in the make-up bag.

10. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    [​IMG] I tried this.....................................only thing I got was hens with lovely colored butts[​IMG]
    Adora, could you explain how to do this. I tried it, but didn't get color on the eggs. Wouldn't think that I was doing it wrong, but...................................[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by