NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Thanks for the suggestions, I like them! India and Ivy are very nice. Naming our silkies is kind of a big deal around our home. Silkies take so long to be able to sex, so its great to get to know them and finally give them a name that fits their personality. We don't really think of them as chickens, we treat them more like dogs that lay eggs. We LOVE each of our birds. I don't know how old your son is, but kids do give the chickens the best names. Like Cotton Ball, Earwig, and Twinkle just to name a few. When the times comes, I am interested to know the names that you choose. [​IMG]

2. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Welcome Mallory! This is a fun group, glad to have you. Ahhh silkies, I've got them coming out of my ears. I am quite a ways from you though.[​IMG]

3. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
  4. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    The teachers do this every year, so I assume they have the 'bators. I don't own one and don't think it would be a good idea for me TO own one. I'd be hip deep in chicks if I did.

If you want your school children to do the work for you, now is the time to contact them because they are already thinking of where to get eggs for April. Of course they may already have a supplier of eggs....I got lucky in that this school's supplier is hard for the coordinator to get ahold of so they are going to try me this year. (Also, I am not charging them for the eggs, but they were willing to pay.)

5. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644300/fermenting-feed-for-meat-birds/4520#post_10428915 Amy, I used the information here for my fermenting. I think that it is a really good thing to do to add probiotics to the chickens diet. Ginny

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Chick, the only thing I would be careful of is feeding to much salt to your chickens. Salt can be toxic to chickens. I would still do it, but I may eliminate the saltier foods.........

I am leaving for work soon and plan on spending the night there. Batten down the hatches, thars a storm a comin"!!! Be well everyone. (we'll probably only get 3 inches and some wind.......)

7. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I know hubby would like some buff orps, that was his favorite girl in the Amish coop. But I think distance is a problem for us - you were near Vermont, right? I'm between Cortland and Binghamton. [​IMG] Hope everyone posts pics of their little fuzzy chicks, Little Girl loves seeing the baby chick pics!

8. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    My youngest son is 11 and my older son 15. The older one wanted to name one of the hens "Richard", but I believe our protests got thru. My younger son tosses names around already, but as you said, some times it's nice to see what the personality of the hen is before you christen it! I told him the possibilities were endless, so give them some thought. Half the fun...

I LOVE the unique names your kids selected! Earwig! [​IMG]

TOB

9. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    1:25 p.m. and still no snow flying here. Wind is horrible, though, and I hear snow is falling around us in different areas.

Had the horses out this morning, but they're in now, enjoying some hay, out of this brutal wind.

Be safe out there, whatever the weather brings your area of the state!

TOB

WELL, IT'S COMING DOWN NOW -- GUESS I JINXED THINGS!

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I can get lots of stuff at the school too, but am leary of feeding them stuff the kids have eaten. What with flu season and all. Bro. Roy does save me uneaten apples and I get the outdated milk. The women save me the outter leaves of the lettuce and other veggies. I dump it on the compost and last night there was a big rabbit out there eating. Today they got some leftover pasta. Without sauce.

If I'm unsure it's safe I dump it on the compost and it they eat it they eat it. Such is life.

Sister Mary has been saving the pickle buckets for me to use. I've got one being washed out to make a new nest box out of. I got the idea from Travis and Tabs. I started with one for the BM's and they seem to like it ok. Though I think it's to small for the Sussex hen. She lays hers in the corner in a pile of straw I put there for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by