NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I would think your Cochins would go broody for you. Silkies of course will since they aren't good for much else. Forgot to say [​IMG]

I candled Frenchy's eggs and they all seem clear, poor thing. I didn't have enough room in my pockets so I left them for the night. (I sometimes find eggs when I close up and I did, 5.) 4 were Dels and one in the Opr / CR coop.

Now I don't know who is laying it but twice now I've cracked open eggs from the Orp/CR coop and found blood in it. I know it's not a "started" egg cuz eggs aren't in the coop long enough and no one is sitting. I've got to hold the eggs back from there until I can find out who it is. Once I do I'll have to decide what to do with her. I think it's a CR hen since I didn't get any eggs with blood until they started laying.

I was right about the eggs starting to hatch as one has a pip. I think it's a Del egg. I marked the others. Tomorrow is day 20. That I'm sure of.

I've resigned myself that the SDWD thread is dead so I've unsubscribed. There was a Delaware club but that died too. Don't know that I will but until I can find me. A Delaware group that won't play games behind me. I'll be what I am, solitary Delaware man. (to the tune of Solitary Man by Neil Diamond)

ta, ta for now,

Rancher

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Hey Rancher, remember when you asked about Ebay eggs? Just got mine. Right on time. They were packed well, but sadly the post office was a bit rough with them. Three were cracked open, and one was hairline cracked down one side. I've patched that one up, and I'm curious if it will develop. But the seller did send extras, so I have 22 perfect eggs and one pretty iffy one.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    The Broody Bunch!!!????[​IMG][​IMG] My favorite!!!

4. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Yes, I ferment and sprout.(but only when I don't shower for weeks[​IMG]).

Welcome!!

Rancher...time to post pictures of your (foil)hats!!!

5. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I like Isis! I forgot that I actually have 2 blue pullets....so I am thinking Iribella for Isabel's baby and Isis for the second blue pullet. Thanks![​IMG]

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, incubator is a go! Time for some fuzzy butts, I guess. Anyone want some buff orpington chicks around March 1st? I may well have extras.

7. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    You're welcome !!

8. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Thanks Rancher for making my dh's day with your comments about silkies. He shares your same opinion about them. Too bad cause I am going to be hatching out more! Sorry to hear you are on your own about dels. Perhaps someone will pick it up with you. TOB seems pretty enthusiastic about it. Now about those brs....I know mine were pretty slow to start laying. Once they started they laid nice eggs. Each molt saw them slow down and stop and then begin again. The br in the terrorist coop didnt start laying till after all my rir and sexlinks were laying. In the hens coop, I think only Mean Marge is laying right now and they will be 3 this april. Br lay nice eggs but they do tend to go off and on about laying. Not really sure why. Takes them longer to start laying as well. Of course, this is just my experience with the birds I have (they are hatchery stock).

Ginny--where can I find out about fermenting? I would like to try it.

Dh made it home before me and had to pull the sexlink out of the terrorist group again as they had pecked her back raw again. Not sure why. I doctored it up and put her back in the cage downstairs. I noticed her picking at the roos feathers before I left for work this morning. I wonder if thats why all their feathers look clipped. I checked the boys and there are no signs of any parasites but their feathers look like they have been clipped, giving them a raggedy appearance. None of the girls look like that. I checked them out too. They are on a 21 percent feed so protein isnt an issue. Any thoughts from any of you? I will try to take pics and post them, if the boys cooperate.

Anyone have any good patterns for saddles or know where I can get one for rir girls? The favs are getting pretty thin on their backs from the boys so I need to make some for them.

Supposed to get a foot or two of snow tomorrow depending on which way this storm tracks. Good think I bought some greens to keep the cheeps busy in their coops. Of course this will mean lots of shoveling for dh and I. Might even get some whiteouts and blizzard conditions if we get the winds. Hoping not to of course. Please be safe everyone.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I once had a cracked EE egg. I took a white candle and ran it back and forth to seal the egg. It hatched just fine. It was broody hatched too.

I am surprised you got cracked and broken eggs, but I suppose it does happen.

I've decided not to order eggs. I have to many chickens now and to many eggs too.

10. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, you can go with the modern and beautiful name of "India"...or go really old-fashioned with Irene or Imogene! Or simply "Ivy" ... [​IMG]

I can't wait to name our new hens in the spring. My son gets to name most, but I will try to keep a couple for myself.

TOB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by