NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Is it just my girls or are all chickens directionally challanged? I had to rescue 3 hens from their stopping spot along the way toward the coop. Come on...keep walking...all paths lead to the coop, it's planned that way on purpose.

And does one bag of feed taste different from another bag of feed? 5 of my birds come waltzing out of the small side of the coop, crops full, when I walked down to shut the coop up tonight. I serve the same thing on both sides. Crumbles. Layer crumbles, to be exact. Why do they think that the ones on the small side are better tasting then the ones on their side?

14 eggs today. I am liking the egg counts, not so fond of the power bill. But I think the increase in power bill is more the heated water bowls than the lights.

2. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Maybe the chickens get snow blind, LOL!

How many birds do you have, Cass?

14 eggs -- very nice!

TOB

3. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    I have found this too ...Too much scratch ..less eggs ..Greens have calcium dont they ? they may still be getting some calcium from the greens ..Definitely getting more nutrients

4. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I, too, shovel down to the grass. And most of them make it back to the coop, just 3 of 27 don't. Bird brains. LOL

6. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    Any one here have Welsummer hatching eggs ??

7. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

8. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I ran into someone at TSC who said he has 60 chickens and only getting about 4 eggs a day. Poor guy. He said he has supplemental light. I didn't know what else to suggest. [​IMG]

Yikes... I was reading how important both calcium and grit are, especially this time of year. I have been giving them oyster shell, but had no idea about the grit. I bought a big 10 lb bag of it yesterday. I'm sure they will be happy!

9. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    If you are only feeding pellets or crumbles they don't need grit...but if you are feeding scratch or any whole grains, then they do need it. Chickens gizzards are like grinders. The grit is the stone. The muscles move the grit around to pulverize the solid food. Pellets & crumbles will easily fall apart in the chicken so it doesh't need grit. Whole or part of grans are hard, and the chicken needs the grit to break the hard stuff down so It passes through to the area where it is absorbed. A gizzard will become stronger the longer it has grit in it. So, if you are not feeding anything that is hard, and suddenly feed hard grain, the chicken will have a hard time breaking the grain down. So, one should introduce grains gradually to a chicken that has not had grit before, or has been eating pellets or crumbles. It takes a couple of weeks with the grit for the chicken to get to its strongest point in the gizzard.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I had a BR pullet who didn't have enough brains to go into the nearest coop. She hid under it and I was lucky enough to push her out with a stick and get her. I put her back where she belonged, but was worried I would have to leave her there for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by