NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Only pellets and crumbles? That just seems cruel. Not to mention boring. [​IMG]

2. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    They have been getting lots more than that, especially now with the leftover lunch stuff.
    They're happy, but now definitely need the grit!

3. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    Well, there was blue poop in the coop this morning !! Now I'll be looking for some blue on an egg !

4. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Do they dust bathe anywhere ? My chickens always eat a little dirt also when they dust bathe ..So I think they are getting their own grit .

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Ok, they are getting stupider and dumber by the minute. One of the Sumantra hens flew over and landed on a snow drift. And sat there. And sat there. Her feet had to be getting cold, but she didn't fly back. So I walked over, scooped her up (ever try to catch a Sumantra? They don't like it) and I carried her to the path she had just flown from. Then she walked away. Like nothing happened. Didn't even flap her wings while I was carrying her.

Now I wasn't expecting her to say "thank you", but a little cluck would have been nice, don't you think?

(and don't tell me snow blind, the sun was behind her and the path was bright green, populated with 20 other chickens. Just plain bird brained, I tell ya.)

6. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I dug a chicken path through the run just as an experiment. Sure enough, they all came out and walked around on the path, avoiding going off the path like the plague. [​IMG] The duckehs sit in the snow and "swim," because they're weird like that.

7. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Gramma Chick,

the nesting box scenario was hilarious, as was your commentary! [​IMG] I enjoyed the "show" and am glad it had a happy ending, LOL!

TOB

8. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    When they do actually brave the snow, but today was the first day out in DAYS! I open the door if I'm going to be home, but they often don't venture out.

(oops... this post was in answer to Gramma)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  9. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] maybe they are bird brained .[/FONT] ..Maybe it was a chicken traffic Jam !
    One of our young hens Doggie ...was bird brained when she was young . You had to chase her down & capture her to get her to go in the coop at night .
    I was often heard to say " theres always a least 1 stupid one in the bunch " .
    Now Lucky puts them all to bed ...Not my problem anymore !

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Snow blindness is UV light reflected from snow . chickens seem to be worse with fresh snow [/FONT].
    I am not willing to crawl on my belly in the snow & see a chickens point of view ...to check ...I dont think they can see other paths or options though ..

10. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Is it too comfy in the coop or run ?
    Maybe mine are more apt to come out ..because they know there is stuff to do under the deck ..like dust bathe ..or eat dirt .in their second home .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by