1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY

This made me LOL! Well the husband said I'm not allowed to get more chicks but we will see about that ;)

2. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Sorry to hear about your rabbits Lynzi :'( we had 4 of them and they all got attacked by something just 2 months after getting them. The worst part was my 11 yr old son bought them with his own $ :(

3. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I got the same boots awhile back in a different print. They didn't last long, sorry to say. They seemed like pretty good quality, but the toe section ripped on both feet (the seam next to the little toes).
    Yup. Dh just mentioned yesterday that after the kids are out of the house, we'll move to a smaller house with more land and big barns. [​IMG]
    Lynzi, I'm so sorry that happened! How terrible! How old is your son? I lean towards honesty being the best policy, but I guess it depends on how old he is. Did it look like anything broke in? Could it have possibly been the other rabbit? Did she have blood on her? Raccoons are smart and strong enough to get into a hutch, but it should be obvious that something busted in.
    [​IMG]

4. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    He will be 7 in July. Couldn't tell if anything "broke in" because it's just a simple hutch where the top opens up but it's got roof-like material on it so it is pretty heavy, however I have heard you guys talk about the strength of a raccoon. The other rabbit didn't have anything on it to leave me to believe she attacked or ate this rabbit. If anything when I got to the hutch she looked almost as if she was panicking to get out of there.

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Definately honesty, on a level he can understand. I would go with something like "I'm sorry to tell you that something hurt your rabbit last night and it didn't live. It died. We need to fix the hutch so this can't happen to the other rabbit. You want to help me? When you are ready we can see if we can get another rabbit that you like as much as you liked this one" And then let him tell you how he wants to deal with it. Kids rebound pretty fast and he probably won't be as heart broken as you are, esp if he doesn't see the poor thing all messed up. Of course you should pay for the replacement, if you are able to afford it, so he doesn't take a double whammy, once in the heart, once in the wallet.

6. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I have friends and a relative that owns/works there. I can ask them later this week if that is possible. Is there any month or dates that are better than others?

Uh, recipe maybe?

I am so sorry. My daughter had quail and possums took them right through the fencing on the cage. It was a rabbit hutch with 1/2" x 1" fencing. Devastating.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Lynzi - I am sorry for your loss. Predators seem to find away. I'm not sure what would to for the rabbits like that. I have a pile in the middle of the yard and I know there was a rabbit in it in the fall but no sign of it now. I do have one under the coop though and hope it's ok. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    YOU TAKE THAT BACK! If men got pregnant you can bet your boots every household would have one kid and that's it. We're much to smart to make THAT mistake twice. [​IMG]

Fathers of teenagers know why animals eat their young.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  9. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    pharm, When you give the chicken carcass to the Silkies....do you give ALL. I mean
    even the skelton that the meat left on? Hope you understand what I am asking.
    Thanks. Aria

10. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Thanks everyone,
    As of right now I do not plan on getting another rabbit to replace this one. The reason we got the two when they were both young was so that they could be housed together. If I got another one I would now need a third hutch to go with other two that are out there now. We still have two, a male and female that are kept separately. We planned on breeding them in the spring so if he still wants another one to call his own at that time I will of course let him keep one of the babies. So maybe I'll put that idea in his head when it comes time to telling him so he doesn't dwell too much on what happened to his bun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by