NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    I love this pic! Would be great as a profile photo.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. chicksNbookrm

chicksNbookrm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi, I am in Lansing, NY, in the Finger Lakes. This is such a wonderful forum. I've learned a lot, although one thing I haven't figured out, and that's how not too have too many chickens. And I have too many chickens! I have (blush) 25. Five cockerels, two hens, eighteen pullets. Mostly welsummers, four silver laced wyandottes, four EE's, one speckled sussex, one golden comet. And four of the cockerels are Golden penciled hamburgs. (And there are, um, seventeen eggs in an incubator.)

Help?

[​IMG]

3. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    only 25.... your fine [​IMG]. I have 74 of just one breed, Sumatra's. just over 100 chickens total at the moment plus 11 ducks.

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    it would be, but this drake face is pretty darn cute [​IMG]

5. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Welcome! I'm about 1/2 hour or so from you in Marathon area of Cortland County. I have 10 hens - 2 NH, 1GLW, 2EE, 2BB Orp, 1 Australorp, 2 Ancona. And 5 Roos - 2 GLW, 2 Ancona and 1 EE. Got them all last April. And we are thinking of adding a few more pullets this year so we always have some young layers in the flock. But the 10 hens are more than enough for what we need. It is the morehens disease, we all have it. Where did you find your Welsummers? They were on my wish list, but couldn't find any locally. I have a lead on Speckled Sussex and now want golden blue cuckoo Marans too (Travis & Tab).

6. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Sheesh I don't go on for a day and you guys chatter up a storm!!

Welcome all newbies!!!!!

I'm glad for cooler temps and frozen ground. Mud season is long enough as it is!!! Dyed the vents on 3 buckeyes this morning. I want to add their eggs to the shipment Of eggs i will be receiving on wednesday. Incubator gets fired up on Thursday. It is about time I did something to relieve this hatching fever of mine!!

7. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Welcome to all the new folks. This is a nice thread and there are lots of very knowledgeable people who can comment on issues we all have at various times. Sometimes the knowledge seems conflicting, then it requires more research, or experimentation. There is no one way.

I have been struggling lately with the reality that if I get chicks, I am likely to have some cockerels, and then there are disagreements in the chicken yard. To some with experience, turning their extra cockerels into dinner is no big deal, but it is hard for me. I am on the lookout for someone in the area who would butcher my chickens, or my latest idea is to learn myself on a chicken to which I have no attachment. My friend has a cousin who has an organic farm, so I have suggested she and I volunteer to help the next time they process chickens. That way I would learn how to do the job, and see if I could do it. I have appreciated the support folks have given me on this issue.

I put the wooden eggs, which are white! In the nest box. Earl was very interested, and later someone had rearranged them. We shall see.

8. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    The past few days anything with any seasoning makes me feel like a balloon. And samoas girl scout cookies were my favorite, but I don't want anything to do with them now. I am liking peanut butter. The cookbook from America's test kitchen has been on my wish list on the frig for over a year now. Since we got our taxes back I think I'm going to splurge and buy it for myself. That show is my favorite. When would you like some blue golden cuckoos?

9. AQHAchick22

AQHAchick22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Averill Park, NY
    I feel your pain...I have 13 right now and just ordered 20 more plus I'm considering buying an incubator and starting to hatch some. This whole chicken venture started out about this time last year with just 6 chickens...oppsssss...the bad news is that morehens disease is contagious, my dad has now caught it [​IMG]

10. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Morning all. Another mucky day in mudville. Its firmed up enough for the cheeps to walk on but soft enough that I still sink somewhat. The girls have picked up the pace and I am getting around 19 eggs a day now. I have very happy egg customers and family members. I also have to save some up for my incubator. They are being set up today! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Can you tell I have hatching fever real bad???[​IMG]

Started a new hobby as the kids are all gone. I have taken up crocheting and am working on a baby blanket for a friend of mine. I think my squares look pretty good for a beginner. Got 18 out of 26 done so far. You know what they say about idle hands so my hands are busy!!!! Made some gluten free banana nut muffins last night and they came out good. I will make regular ones for dh today. I get the discounted bananas as they are really cheap and still good for baking and eating.

Welcome to the newbies on here. Morehens disease will get you too. We started out with 8 chickens. Now we have 41 and will be hatching out more, One can never have enough chickens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by