NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Yes morehens disease is a very serious condition! Last year I started out with 12 white leghorn hens and roo. I now have 25 leghorn hens, 1 RIR, 2 barred rock, 3 mixes and a Delaware roo. That's not counting the chicks 18 RIR,3 Delaware, 1 Black Orp, 6 Jersey Giant. I also have 25 more chicks on order :/
    Edited to add I forgot about the 7 eggs in the incubator oops.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    That's why we suggest to newbies BUILD THE COOP BIG! [​IMG]
    Last spring, dh wanted 6 chickens for the kids to have experience with. We now have 18 black australorps, 9 production/red sex links, one buff orpington and 7 tetra tints.
    We expanded our coop last year by 10x10'. Now it's 2 rooms... one 10x12' or so, and one 10x10'. Hmmmmmm...... according to things I've read, I could fit more chickens!
    I'm hoping for a broody this spring and just let nature take its course.

3. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Yes, he is ADORABLE!!! I love that kind of curiousity.[​IMG]

4. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    What do you mean by " dyed the vents"? Never heard of this before.

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Yup. Been there, done that. When I first had too many roosters I tried to give them away on Craig's List. It worked, kinda. I put "if you really want my silkie roos, but already have too many roosters of your own, let's trade". And one person took me up on it. Brought me 2 of her roosters that she didn't need and were all grown up and took 2 of my silkie roosters which are yucky to eat (at least in my mind). The next morning we butchered the new to us roosters that we hadn't named, didn't know from adam with absolutely no guilt or feeling at all. Now I can butcher any of my birds that are no longer needed in my flock. Well, except the D'uccles. They are pets. [​IMG]

6. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    HELP ?? You sound just fine to me [​IMG][​IMG] Welcome to our world !!

7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Def: Morehens Disease: (Noun, verb depending on season) Incurable desire to own more birds, including but not limited to: chickens, ducks, turkey, quail, and peacocks. Symptoms begin with the purchase or otherwise obtaining 2 - 6 birds of one species or breed. As disease progresses more breeds of original species are added (usually because they are "cute" or "lay more eggs" or "are dual purpose". Additional reasons have been used by various people to justify adding to their flock) There have been cases of the disease going into remission, usually due to housing constraints. Once the houseing problem is solved the disease progresses to fill all available space. Suffers of this disease are usually carriers too, spreading the disease to neighbors, friends and family members in an attempt to free housing space at their own location so they can continue to obtain more and newer birds. Sufferers should refrain from owning an incubator. See: "hatching fever" .

(If you or anyone you know suffers from Morehens, please stay away from me, my coop is full to bursting and I have the potential to obtain 96 chicks if all the eggs hatch. Thank you)

8. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    We had a box of Samoas, they lasted one week which is pretty good for the two of us. Thin mints are in the freezer for emergencies. Last year before hubby's b-day I subscribed online to get access to some recipes. Made Peanut Butter Frosting from scratch that was very tasty on some box-made chocolate cupcakes. So before it expired this year, I got a call offering one of those free trial offers. Well, he liked it so it only cost me $34 to keep it. It is all the 2012 Cook's Country magazines in one book, plus Cook's All-Time Favorite Recipes (where this year's cake recipe is from). I just did our taxes this week, hoping our taxes will pay for water and electric to the barn, then fuel oil refill, then the rest will be to pay bills when my paycheck is shorted this summer. Oh fun stuff.
    We aren't set up for chicks yet, even though I have the spring fever. Probably in mid-April would be better, when is starts getting a little warmer in the garage. I have the heat lamp, need to get the tank back. I learned the first year why everyone says not to brood in the house.

9. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    For those familiar with both breeds, how does the SIZE of the EGG differ between production/red sex links and black australorps?
    The reason I ask is because all my australorps seem to be laying, but the size of the egg is still pretty small compared to the other hens I have. They have been laying for a month or two. They are supposed to lay a large egg, so I'm wondering (hoping) the eggs will get bigger.
    Anyone know?

10. ag29ande

ag29ande Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Delanson, ny
    Hey neighbor! I'm in Delanson!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by