NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I have had Golden Comets, lay lots of eggs but a few died from being egg bound and the other never lived very long. Black Australorps are our absolute favorite and most reliable layers of HUGE eggs. Our oldest are 6+ years old and yes I do think we may get an egg from them every once in a while. They start out laying medium sized eggs but then will progressively get larger the older they get. Our old girls are laying XL-Jumbo weight eggs or bigger. I have a metal scale and it bottoms out on most.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I did have a barred EE. Must have been the Lav Amr roo and Dominique hen. Anyhow she laid a white egg. I never had a whitle egg laying hen in the lot. The Del EE cross laid a brown egg.

It's my understanding that a Maran roo to a Blue/green laying hen creates an Olive egger. Which is where I'm headed. My marans hens lay a better than large egg. This is the size I hope to have in all my hens.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I do have a separate pen with trap nests. I have ordered 24 buckeye eggs and want to fill the incubator with eggs from my best hens only. The pen with the tap nests is under snow and I don't want to work that hard to get it up and running for 6 eggs to fill the incubator. All the buckeye eggs look the same to me, so it will be catch as catch can!!

4. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Did you use regular vegetable dye?

5. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I think Heni won eggs at Tabs chicken party last year.

6. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Interesting. I know for a fact (cuz I went to the breeders house to pick up the birds) that my OE was made with a Ameruacana roo over a Marans hen. So I guess it works both ways? Or she was feeding me a line of bull (which I would beleive after what I found out about the rest of the birds I bought, at top dollar, from her) But I did meet the Marans hen and supposed roo that was the Daddy of my OE while I was there. (Also saw the beautifully dark brown eggs that the Momma laid. Boy would I love to have those eggs)

7. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I'm new to owning chickens and I'm from Rochester NY, I alreay did my paperwork for my permit and I'm waiting for it come in the mail. I built my coop out of scraps, and I had a lot of fun doing so that I'm building two more coops for about 4 more chickens and 2 muscovy ducks. Right now I have 6 Amber link chicks that are 5 days old. I seem to have a problem with poopy butt but was told of a remedy. My girls very active and eat well. I clean their digs everyday and wash my hands before and after handling, and I want to handle them a lot to keep them friendly and docile. Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks so much

8. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Tie-dyed Easter eggs! [​IMG]
    I bought tetra tint chicks last year at TSC. Supposedly, they were bred specifically for TSC. I'd never heard of them otherwise. I have 7 hens. 5 lay large brown eggs, comparable in size to my producers. The other two (and they both happen to have gray legs) lay large to x-large green eggs. One is green, the other is a pretty teal green. If you're looking for green eggs, see if TSC has tetra tints again this year and get the chicks that have gray legs. [​IMG]
    Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks! I've been getting worried, since the other hens have laid large eggs from the beginning. I hate being patient.
    Ro-cha-cha makes you get a permit? C'mon down to Canandaigua. No permits needed. [​IMG] (at least in the town, I don't know about the city). Welcome!

Made the angel food cake recipe tonight. Waiting for it to cool now. Did I mention I hate being patient? Strawberries and whip cream ready to rock!

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG]

10. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    One of the two hatching eggs that made it (idiot broody trashed the others) turned out to be a beautiful EE cockerel. I'll have to get a photo of him. He's very pretty, and is a really nice-tempered bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by