NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    [​IMG]

2. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Aint that the truth. Talked to a friend today who is passing it to a woman at her Gym who now wants chickens.

3. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Production birds are birds bred for the size egg they lay. They put all their energy in to making eggs. Also called Egg laying machines and terminal birds. Terminal in that their laying days are numbered. They lay lots of eggs over a short period of time and then drop off.

Now your Aussies. Are not production birds but dual purpose. Meaning they're for eggs and meat. They may lay only a Large 2 oz. egg over their lifetime but idealisticallly be fit to process and eat too. The size egg they lay may vary depending on Genetics.

This is why these production birds are usually, skinny. Mind you, you may not care about any of this when you have chickens and that,s a personal choice.

Hybrids tend to be better layers than non-hybrids. There is of course always the exception to the rule.

Also keep in mind that diet does affect a hens laying too.

4. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I put some vegetable dye on their vents in hopes to be able to tell which hen laid each egg. Didn't work though.

5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    It is my understanding that you have to put on a glove and insert the dye into the vent so it transfers onto the egg as it passes through the vent. Now me? I'm wondering why it doesn't rub off on the poo and not be there when the egg gets there? I just try to see a hen or two a day actually laying then make note of what their egg has that other eggs don't....like speckles, ring of blue on large end, size/color differences, etc. Then I know who's egg is who's. (to some extent....some are sooo similiar it is very hard to tell) Do you have the space to separate the hens you want to lay eggs to hatch? Might be the only way to know for sure you have what you are seeking.

6. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks so much for the afirmation,

7. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    I did the same thing. It didn't start showing on the eggs 'til I had put dye in about 3 - 4 days in a row.

8. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Mr. Chabo the Japanese Bantam is a pet, as is my Easter Egger boy from Rancher (he's such a good bird). I'm also fond of my head roo Captain Morgan - he occasionally has to be reminded to respect my authoritah, but he's a good rooster otherwise. The other boys? Meh - I could process any of them with no problem, and need to get off my backside and do a couple.

9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    When did you get your EE from me? Do you have a pic? Now I have a question too. I've a Lav Amer roo. If I keep the Del and BR hen with him I will get EE's? I just ask because I have some hens from him and my EE's that are laying now. BUT I also have a blue girl that lays blue eggs but not as big as I'd like. I do have one EE hen that lays a nice 2oz. or more sized egg and that's what I'm going for.

I also have a EE/Amer hen with the Dels and she doesn't lay as well/often as her mother does.

10. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    It is my understanding that an EE is a mixed breed with blue genetic material in one of the parents. If you mix a blue gened male with a brown egg laying female you will get olive colored eggs. Now somewhere someone talked about how to make an EE....but I can't remember exactly what they said. I always wondered what the offspring would lay if you mixed a brown egg laying breed roo with a blue egg laying breed female. If you would get the same olive egg or if you would get teal or aqua or green?

I will say that my blue and green laying hens do not lay as large an egg as my production (something or other) nor my Olive Egger (who regularly lays an XL egg) When I weigh them they are just at the tippy most low end of large to the tippy top edge of medium. (not a weight scale, but a tippy kind. Not my choice, a Christmas gift)

Wait, Olive Eggers have a Marans as a Momma and an Ameruacana as a Daddy....other colors of green come from lighter brown egg laying mommas

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by