NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    everything you have read is correct. I need to tap a few myself, hopefully tomorrow to make enough syrup for us for the year. I have cooked it down on the woodstove and that take FOREVER and at least on my woodstove required finishing it up on the kitchen stove. But my thought was if the woodstove is running anyway, even if it evaporates slowly, it saves fuel. Have fun!

2. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    My parents used to make syrup year ago, lots of work involved. Warm days/cool nights are ideal, gets the sap really running. Snow cover in the woods keeps it cool enough when the days get warm, but right now everything is just so cold and gloomy.

Tab - my only aversion was Chocolate - it was terrible! Hubby enjoys America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country as well. Got one of the cookbooks about a month ago, so he has been 'testing' in our kitchen. I don't mind except for the mess left behind. He has picked out Fluffy Yellow Layer Cake with Foolproof Chocolate Frosting for his birthday next week. Never made a cake or frosting from scratch before, or a layer cake. And I get to serve it to his friends and family when we go out for dinner. Told him the cake will be more orange than yellow - uses 3 eggs and 3 yolks. The Hearty Hen feed gives really dark yolks. Makes cheesecakes look terrible! Cake baking Thursday, frosting and eating Friday. Results to be determined....

3. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    I've been helped out here IMMENSELY! [​IMG] I learn a lot from so many and it's appreciated.

Love that quote, above...! I might just borrow it! [​IMG]

TOB

4. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Today, my hubby started on the metal base frame of our new coop! While he was putting that together, he plugged in the sander, handed it to me and pointed me towards the nesting boxes he and my young son Shane built recently. I caught on well enough, and they are now smooth as a baby's bottom -- and will hopefully accommodate my hens' bottoms nicely!

TOB

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Mud and water and mud. What a mess. I hope that it dries out soon, cuz my boots are tired of being sucked off my feet by quickmud.

Lots of eggs. I am very pleased with their laying ability so far. Now to have them keep it up until I have the 96 eggs for the grade school.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

6. Desiree Brown

Desiree Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Schoharie NY
    I'm in Duanesburg NY (near Schoharie ) right now we have EE's a Golden comet and a White Crested Black Polish Roo. My 9 year old has such a passion for chickens I'm letting him lead my projects. He decided he wants to raise and breed WCB Polish chickens. He also wants to breed WCB polish with Naked Necks and Silkies. We ordered him NN, and WCB. My other son got some Phoenix and lakenvelders ( does anyone have those breeds?) but wants to focus on Runner ducks.. My husband got A Jersey Giant. And I got Brahmas, Wyandottes and Cochins. I can't Waite to have a broody hen !!

7. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York

8. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Has anyone seen quail for sale locally ? In the syracuse area ?

9. Gramma Chick

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    Welcome to the thread

10. McBride55

McBride55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Waterloo, NY
    Thanks, I am already learning new stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by