NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I wish you all the best, but you can still talk to us because we love to have you here and while you wait you learn as much as possible I"m so addicted to this site with all the wonderful people.
  2. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Ugh - that's terrible. Good luck on the job hunt - may something bigger and better come along! Also, I highly recommend taking Rancher up on his offer of chicks. His birds are wonderful! Meanwhile, hang out here with us. We're a fun group, and folks in all stages of chicken-keeping are welcomed with open arms.

Who ordered this snow? It took me an hour to drive home from Albany, which would normally take a half-hour. I'll never know what possesses lunatics to drive like mad fiends when the roads are essentially untouched by salt, sand, or plow.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. McBride55

McBride55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Waterloo, NY
    i plan on sticking around, got keep doing my research. Besides I am enjoying the stories I read here. Hopefully I can contribute soon.
  4. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    So you are in your new job? Do you like it? i hope it is going well!!
  5. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Still playing catch-up after a crazy week.

I was sorry to hear about some of you losing chickens, whether to raptors or otherwise. I often imagine how I'm going to handle things like this, knowing how I get attached. But I am realistic enough to know it's part of owning chickens, so hopefully I'll manage well enough and help my younger son to deal with this real life stuff, too.

On a brighter note, I may be inexperienced, but even I can recognize what fabulous looking birds COUNTY BOY has. I am not one to quote teenagers, but "OMG!" [​IMG] They are just dynamite looking and exude good health and vigor. Wow, am I ever impressed.

On another positive note, hubby and younger son completed the trusses for the new coop in our garage last night! It's getting there! [​IMG]
    RANCHER, how are those Del eggs lookin' ?! [​IMG]

Hope everyone has a good day; be safe in the new snowfall. I noticed a few grackles and red-wings, so spring IS coming....really, it is!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Morning all! Woke up to three inches of snow and very gusty winds. Of course I was blamed for the new evil stuff that has appeared in their runs and my divas and terrorists refuse to step foot outside. They proceeded to give me an earfull. My silkies, on the other hand, ran outside to play in their covered runs. Snow has blown inside of them but not a lot and they dont seem bothered by it. I do know that they wont come out if its a lot of snow in there.

I made a close inspection of my big boys yesterday as they are looking raggedy. No signs of pests but it looks like the girls are picking or clipping the feathers off the boys. A couple of my sexlinks are also missing feathers on their backs but not from mating. I have been giving them cabbages and other fruits and veges and high protein (21 %) feed. Is this what they call feather picking and will it stop when they can get back out to freerange again? I think they have coop fever and while they have a huge run and sizeable coop, they havent been out to freerange in a while because of the snow. My one roo Olaf is down to bare spots on his neck and the tops of his wings. The skin is red there. I can see new feathers growing back. I feel bad for them as I am sure its got to be uncomfortable.

Stony---looks like you will be having an eggcellent day.

Hen--people think that when they have a 4wheel or all wheel drive, they are safe driving fast. They are usually the idiots I see off the road as I pass by driving slowly and carefully.

Weatherman promises a warmup tomorrow. I sure do hope so!
  7. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    That IS a small world!

McBride55 ~ Sorry to hear of the loss of your job. That stinks. I wanted to add to my flock this year too but I don't think I'll be doing that now that we may have to move next year. :-( Hopefully you will find something sooner than later.

More snow here today. Thought Spring was around the corner?!? I have a feeling I may be hiding easter eggs in the snow this year.....
  8. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Yeah typically feather plucking is usually an unhappy bird so yeah it should get better once things warm up, but I'm sure there are some out there wh give you some advice on how to stop it now. Have you tried toys that slowly release food? they make them for birds not just cats and dogs LOL it might help keep the bird busy and thinking so it's not destroying it's feathers, I know for a fact they are tractor supply store but I'm sure you either make some or find some small dog or cat ones as well. What kind of sexlink? I got Ambers for the egg production. later on this summer I'm getting some silkies frizzle bantams marans barbanters and americaunas.
  9. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Since the rooster is raw where his feathers are missing there is a chance the hens could pick at that and draw blood. What I do is spray some Blu-kote on it, it helps healing and it covers the red area so no one picks at it. Blu-kote works wonders! It cuts healing time in half! I use on my dogs horses and chickens. Good luck!
  10. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Since I have 36 chicks here I've been spending most of my time cleaning poopy butts! I know how to fix it but how do I prevent from happening in the first place?! This is my first year with chicks. I have 22 month old chicks and they never had poopy butts but these new ones ( ranging from 2 weeks to 3 days in age) always have it! I don't understand it :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by