NY chicken lover!!!!

Since I have 36 chicks here I've been spending most of my time cleaning poopy butts! I know how to fix it but how do I prevent from happening in the first place?! This is my first year with chicks. I have 22 month old chicks and they never had poopy butts but these new ones ( ranging from 2 weeks to 3 days in age) always have it! I don't understand it :/

Still playing catch-up after a crazy week.

I was sorry to hear about some of you losing chickens, whether to raptors or otherwise. I often imagine how I'm going to handle things like this, knowing how I get attached. But I am realistic enough to know it's part of owning chickens, so hopefully I'll manage well enough and help my younger son to deal with this real life stuff, too.

On a brighter note, I may be inexperienced, but even I can recognize what fabulous looking birds COUNTY BOY has. I am not one to quote teenagers, but "OMG!"
lol.png
They are just dynamite looking and exude good health and vigor. Wow, am I ever impressed.

On another positive note, hubby and younger son completed the joist section of the new coop in our garage last night! It's getting there!
wee.gif

RANCHER, how are those Del eggs lookin' ?!
wink.png

Hope everyone has a good day; be safe in the new snowfall. I noticed a few grackles and red-wings, so spring IS coming....really, it is!

TOB
Yes spring! I haven't seen a red-wing but I hope I do soon! But the mud...yuck!
That IS a small world!

McBride55 ~ Sorry to hear of the loss of your job. That stinks. I wanted to add to my flock this year too but I don't think I'll be doing that now that we may have to move next year. :-( Hopefully you will find something sooner than later.

More snow here today. Thought Spring was around the corner?!? I have a feeling I may be hiding easter eggs in the snow this year.....
My in-laws for Easter have all 4 of the their adult children fill the plastic eggs and then hide them(4 doz each)....there are 23 grandchildren and 22 greats...we are finding eggs in July!
Thanks for all the support. All efforts are going into job hunting. Hopefully if I find one soon I can get a few chicks this time.
If you want some Lav orps or light or Coronation Sussex let me know...
Now that sounds like a tasty day!
I am thankful that I have standing orders for any extra eggs we have..Kids eat eggs ever morning and then I sell about 13 doz a week..if I have them! Allows me to enjoy the chickens...tho it is hatching season so less eating eggs!

Since I have 36 chicks here I've been spending most of my time cleaning poopy butts! I know how to fix it but how do I prevent from happening in the first place?! This is my first year with chicks. I have 22 month old chicks and they never had poopy butts but these new ones ( ranging from 2 weeks to 3 days in age) always have it! I don't understand it
hmm.png
Try putting apple cider vinegar in their water and give them some probiotic yogurt. I find these help with poopy butts. I will try the bluekote tomorrow when dh is around to hold them. Hard to do that alone.

Still snowing and blowing which will make the ride in to work interesting. Just went out and got 8 eggs. Overachievers. Must be the site of the canner and canning jars sitting out downstairs has motivated them.
big_smile.png

Be safe everyone.

Still playing catch-up after a crazy week.

I was sorry to hear about some of you losing chickens, whether to raptors or otherwise. I often imagine how I'm going to handle things like this, knowing how I get attached. But I am realistic enough to know it's part of owning chickens, so hopefully I'll manage well enough and help my younger son to deal with this real life stuff, too.

On a brighter note, I may be inexperienced, but even I can recognize what fabulous looking birds COUNTY BOY has. I am not one to quote teenagers, but "OMG!"
lol.png
They are just dynamite looking and exude good health and vigor. Wow, am I ever impressed.

On another positive note, hubby and younger son completed the joist section of the new coop in our garage last night! It's getting there!
wee.gif

RANCHER, how are those Del eggs lookin' ?!
wink.png

Hope everyone has a good day; be safe in the new snowfall. I noticed a few grackles and red-wings, so spring IS coming....really, it is!

TOB

Funny you should ask. Today is day 20. Heard peeping last night and woke to a chick this am. Any guesses on which breed? A Del of course. There are few more eggs pipping. The two EE/Amers of course, an Orp and a CR.

The Dels always seem to be first to hatch if not the EE's. Don't know why though. I prefer the pip and hatch fast rather than start and take their time, but you can never tell. They start and then all the sudden you look in and there they are.

I placed the eggs in cartons this time for hatching. I think they do better. At least for me. I trim out as much of the carton as I can. Just enough to hold up the egg. I also cut a hole in the bottom so as to not have any moisture held under the egg. I used styrofoam this time. Easier to cut and wash.

Last edited:
Anyone going to the auction in Canandiagua tomorrow? I'm going to thin out the Cayugas and Ameraucanas, I'm overrun with drakes and roosters, lol
<br>
<br>

I hatched out project Bantam Ameraucanas (chocolate lines) and like everything is a rooster, bah.
<br>
<br>

I could use some Silkie or Orp eggs if anyone is coming and has some to spare? :p
<br>
<br>
I was going to save stuff for the Bath auction since I would likely get better pricing there, but I would have to feed it and keep it alive and uneaten til then. Plus my husband is tired of feeding all these freeloaders!

Funny you should ask. Today is day 20. Heard peeping last night and woke to a chick this am. Any guesses on which breed? A Del of course. There are few more eggs pipping. The two EE/Amers of course, an Orp and a CR. The Dels always seem to be first to hatch if not the EE's. Don't know why though. I prefer the pip and hatch fast rather than start and take their time, but you can never tell. They start and then all the sudden you look in and there they are. I placed the eggs in cartons this time for hatching. I think they do better. At least for me. I trim out as much of the carton as I can. Just enough to hold up the egg. I also cut a hole in the bottom so as to not have any moisture held under the egg. I used styrofoam this time. Easier to cut and wash.
How exciting! I'm crossing my fingers for orps! I'm thinking about maybe getting some EE's too, if you have extra of course :) I'll have all the manure ready tonight for ya! Thank you Pharm, I will try the ACV and yogurt. I wasn't sure if they were too young or not.

How exciting! I'm crossing my fingers for orps! I'm thinking about maybe getting some EE's too, if you have extra of course
smile.png
I'll have all the manure ready tonight for ya!
Thank you Pharm, I will try the ACV and yogurt. I wasn't sure if they were too young or not.

Well an orp is nearly out but I doubt it's pure since it's white. Father may be CR. But there are others pipping. Gotta be black or lavender or splash for me to be sure.

There are only two EE's in the batch but I do intend to be saving eggs for another hatch. Just EE's, BR's and Dels I think. That is is more Birchens hatch.

Of the four BM's from last time two are definitely roos. They mature very fast. The previous hens laid at 16 weeks. Roosters crowed at 5. That's right that early. The hens lay a bigger than large sized egg too. I do like them and would like a flock of ten at least. Which means doubling the size of their coop. Perhaps downsizing another breed. Laid very well in the coldest weather too.

Take care,

Rancher

Funny you should ask. Today is day 20. Heard peeping last night and woke to a chick this am. Any guesses on which breed? A Del of course. There are few more eggs pipping. The two EE/Amers of course, an Orp and a CR.

The Dels always seem to be first to hatch if not the EE's. Don't know why though. I prefer the pip and hatch fast rather than start and take their time, but you can never tell. They start and then all the sudden you look in and there they are.

I placed the eggs in cartons this time for hatching. I think they do better. At least for me. I trim out as much of the carton as I can. Just enough to hold up the egg. I also cut a hole in the bottom so as to not have any moisture held under the egg. I used styrofoam this time. Easier to cut and wash.

OK, I am very "EGGCITED"... and as horrible a pun as that is, it's TRUE! You realize I will bug the living daylights out of you from now until April, right?
wink.png

Thanks for the update and also for the pictures. I will show Shane when he gets home from school. Keep us posted. Hope it's a very successful hatch.

Seems like a neat idea to put the eggs in the cut-out carton for a little extra stability.

TOB

Last edited:
How exciting! I'm crossing my fingers for orps! I'm thinking about maybe getting some EE's too, if you have extra of course
smile.png
I'll have all the manure ready tonight for ya!
Here is something I copied from backyard chickens somewhere
Pasty Butt (Blocked Vent)

A blocked vent is sometimes due to temperature fluctuations suffered by young chicks or more fragile breeds and can be due to stress. There may be other causes, as well. With young chicks, check the temperature in your brooder to ensure it is not fluctuating significantly.
A blocked vent is fatal if not taken care of quickly. A chick suffering pasty butt must be checked on throughout the day and will probably need treatment several times a day for several days.

Treatment:
Clean use a damp rag to remove poo from vent. If the poo is hard, you can soak the chicks bottom in a dish of warm water or put the chicks bottom under warm running water to help remove it.
Dry thoroughly dry the chick. Leaving a chick wet can reduce its immunity and leave it vulnerable to illness or infection.
Olive Oil once the chick is dry, use a Q-tip to gently apply olive oil around the vent to help prevent poos from sticking too hard.
Apple Cider Vinegar several BYCers add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to drinking water to prevent or reduce the severity of pasty butt.

How exciting! I'm crossing my fingers for orps! I'm thinking about maybe getting some EE's too, if you have extra of course :) I'll have all the manure ready tonight for ya!
Here is something I copied from backyard chickens somewhere
Pasty Butt (Blocked Vent)

A blocked vent is sometimes due to temperature fluctuations suffered by young chicks or more fragile breeds and can be due to stress.  There may be other causes, as well.  With young chicks, check the temperature in your brooder to ensure it is not fluctuating significantly.

A blocked vent is fatal if not taken care of quickly.  A chick suffering pasty butt must be checked on throughout the day and will probably need treatment several times a day for several days.

Treatment:

Clean use a damp rag to remove poo from vent.  If the poo is hard, you can soak the chicks bottom in a dish of warm water or put the chicks bottom under warm running water to help remove it.

Dry thoroughly dry the chick.  Leaving a chick wet can reduce its immunity and leave it vulnerable to illness or infection.

Olive Oil once the chick is dry, use a Q-tip to gently apply olive oil around the vent to help prevent poos from sticking too hard.

Apple Cider Vinegar several BYCers add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to drinking water to prevent or reduce the severity of pasty butt.

That's interesting that it mentions more fragile breeds getting it because its just the leghorn and red sex links that get it. The brahmas are all fine. That's odd. There temp has been fine since I've had them but u just got them Wednesday, I'm sure they are still stressed from the shipping. Aside from the pasty butt they are all very active and happy, none of died during shipping (thank god!) I already put the ACV in their water so hopefully I can get a break soon from cleaning butts! Thought I would share some pics!

Back
Top Bottom