NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    Yes spring! I haven't seen a red-wing but I hope I do soon! But the mud...yuck!
    My in-laws for Easter have all 4 of the their adult children fill the plastic eggs and then hide them(4 doz each)....there are 23 grandchildren and 22 greats...we are finding eggs in July!
    If you want some Lav orps or light or Coronation Sussex let me know...
    I am thankful that I have standing orders for any extra eggs we have..Kids eat eggs ever morning and then I sell about 13 doz a week..if I have them! Allows me to enjoy the chickens...tho it is hatching season so less eating eggs!

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Try putting apple cider vinegar in their water and give them some probiotic yogurt. I find these help with poopy butts. I will try the bluekote tomorrow when dh is around to hold them. Hard to do that alone.

Still snowing and blowing which will make the ride in to work interesting. Just went out and got 8 eggs. Overachievers. Must be the site of the canner and canning jars sitting out downstairs has motivated them. [​IMG]

Be safe everyone.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Funny you should ask. Today is day 20. Heard peeping last night and woke to a chick this am. Any guesses on which breed? A Del of course. There are few more eggs pipping. The two EE/Amers of course, an Orp and a CR.

The Dels always seem to be first to hatch if not the EE's. Don't know why though. I prefer the pip and hatch fast rather than start and take their time, but you can never tell. They start and then all the sudden you look in and there they are.

I placed the eggs in cartons this time for hatching. I think they do better. At least for me. I trim out as much of the carton as I can. Just enough to hold up the egg. I also cut a hole in the bottom so as to not have any moisture held under the egg. I used styrofoam this time. Easier to cut and wash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  4. Sachasmom

Sachasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Anyone going to the auction in Canandiagua tomorrow? I'm going to thin out the Cayugas and Ameraucanas, I'm overrun with drakes and roosters, lol
    <br>
    <br>

I hatched out project Bantam Ameraucanas (chocolate lines) and like everything is a rooster, bah.
    <br>
    <br>

I could use some Silkie or Orp eggs if anyone is coming and has some to spare? :p
    <br>
    <br>
    I was going to save stuff for the Bath auction since I would likely get better pricing there, but I would have to feed it and keep it alive and uneaten til then. Plus my husband is tired of feeding all these freeloaders!

5. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    How exciting! I'm crossing my fingers for orps! I'm thinking about maybe getting some EE's too, if you have extra of course :) I'll have all the manure ready tonight for ya! Thank you Pharm, I will try the ACV and yogurt. I wasn't sure if they were too young or not.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well an orp is nearly out but I doubt it's pure since it's white. Father may be CR. But there are others pipping. Gotta be black or lavender or splash for me to be sure.

There are only two EE's in the batch but I do intend to be saving eggs for another hatch. Just EE's, BR's and Dels I think. That is is more Birchens hatch.

Of the four BM's from last time two are definitely roos. They mature very fast. The previous hens laid at 16 weeks. Roosters crowed at 5. That's right that early. The hens lay a bigger than large sized egg too. I do like them and would like a flock of ten at least. Which means doubling the size of their coop. Perhaps downsizing another breed. Laid very well in the coldest weather too.

Take care,

Rancher

7. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    OK, I am very "EGGCITED"... and as horrible a pun as that is, it's TRUE! You realize I will bug the living daylights out of you from now until April, right? [​IMG]

Thanks for the update and also for the pictures. I will show Shane when he gets home from school. Keep us posted. Hope it's a very successful hatch.

Seems like a neat idea to put the eggs in the cut-out carton for a little extra stability.

TOB

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    How exciting! I'm crossing my fingers for orps! I'm thinking about maybe getting some EE's too, if you have extra of course [​IMG] I'll have all the manure ready tonight for ya!
    Here is something I copied from backyard chickens somewhere
    Pasty Butt (Blocked Vent)

A blocked vent is sometimes due to temperature fluctuations suffered by young chicks or more fragile breeds and can be due to stress. There may be other causes, as well. With young chicks, check the temperature in your brooder to ensure it is not fluctuating significantly.
    A blocked vent is fatal if not taken care of quickly. A chick suffering pasty butt must be checked on throughout the day and will probably need treatment several times a day for several days.

Treatment:
    Clean use a damp rag to remove poo from vent. If the poo is hard, you can soak the chicks bottom in a dish of warm water or put the chicks bottom under warm running water to help remove it.
    Dry thoroughly dry the chick. Leaving a chick wet can reduce its immunity and leave it vulnerable to illness or infection.
    Olive Oil once the chick is dry, use a Q-tip to gently apply olive oil around the vent to help prevent poos from sticking too hard.
    Apple Cider Vinegar several BYCers add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to drinking water to prevent or reduce the severity of pasty butt.

9. mderby48

mderby48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    That's interesting that it mentions more fragile breeds getting it because its just the leghorn and red sex links that get it. The brahmas are all fine. That's odd. There temp has been fine since I've had them but u just got them Wednesday, I'm sure they are still stressed from the shipping. Aside from the pasty butt they are all very active and happy, none of died during shipping (thank god!) I already put the ACV in their water so hopefully I can get a break soon from cleaning butts! Thought I would share some pics![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hey albany peeps, how are the roads out that way? Need to go to the train station and don't know if I can get away with the Smart car. :) It's nice out this way, but we heard from the mothership (my main employer) that the snow was still going in Albany..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by