NY chicken lover!!!!

My husband April Fool Joke was " Look ( out the window ) whats that big thing flying above the pine trees ?
( Im thinking Hawk Vulture Eagle ) ( chickens are out free ranging ) he goes a ... UFO ?

Blue On Black - Love that song - still trying to figure out the lyrics .
Cute alien silkie Link

" Silkies are from Mars ..Chickens are from Venus "
Blue on Blue ..I think I am dating myself..LoL
Blue on Black is one of the few songs I sing in the band. My beautiful wife handles most of the vocals.

Ugh! Just had another (bigger) hawk try to swoop down and attack my silkies! A friend of mine was over with her kids and as we were standing in the kitchen talking about the chickens we see two of the adults fly towards my side porch. So I went out there to see what happened and two crows were in the sky chasing this huge hawk away. Luckily no one was hurt. They all made it back up to the coop and stayed there for a while. Stinks that I'm gonna have to be more careful as to when to let them out to free range. They love being out of their coop and start getting loud when they are all cooped up for long periods of time. Guess they'll only be allowed out when someone is out there with them.

That is very frustrating. Mine have been on limited free range time lately because of hawks. I've been seeing them all over the place. It's a good thing I have a lot of stuff to get done outside. Not to mention the dogs are pretty good at making sure everything is okay. If the chickens make a noise the boys aren't used to the dogs are right back by the fence in a second. They have saved a chickens from a possible fox attack before.

There may seem to be more hawks around because of the migration push -- hopefully, you won't have them be as big (frequent) a threat as the season progresses. I would think this is incredibly nerve wracking for free rangers, and I'm a huge bird lover.

AQHA, your dogs sound like good boys. I'm hoping my two big guys will help keep some of the local wildlife from getting too close to my coop. They pee all over the place, but I'm not so sure that's a big deterrent, as we still catch lots of wildlife on our game cam. I think it will be more of an advantage to just have them present for much of the day. By the way, I'm assuming you've got a QH? I've got a 22-y/o appendix QH. He's also a very good boy!

TOB

Unit Zappa
roll.png

(wow, that was a long time ago!)

TOB

They're all locked up now. I wishy dog would stay outside with them alone and without us and continue to follow them around like he does but the minute we go back inside he's right there in our shadows.

I tried putting Stella, my lavender Orp in with the silkies after locking them up. Duncan my Silkie roo tried mounting her immediately and was unsuccessful. She's almost twice the size of him, how does he think he's going to manage that one? Other than that, the others didn't seem mind too much. Let her out tho as she was frantically looking for her partner in crime who I couldn't catch to also put in there. I'll try again later...

I am newish here and looking for some eggs to use for a Teen program at our library where I am the Youth Librarian. I have had chickens for years and LOVE everything about them but would like to get some new breeds. I have Buff Orpingtons and Americanas. Don't judge my spelling, sorry! I tried ordering some eggs the last couple of years and they are so unlucky. All the eggs I find locally hatch out but never the mailed ones. I am guessing it's just not a great way to get eggs. Is there a swap around the Binghamton area or do any of you sell eggs for hatching? We have a modest budget but I can pay for the eggs. Thanks so much.

I am newish here and looking for some eggs to use for a Teen program at our library where I am the Youth Librarian. I have had chickens for years and LOVE everything about them but would like to get some new breeds. I have Buff Orpingtons and Americanas. Don't judge my spelling, sorry! I tried ordering some eggs the last couple of years and they are so unlucky. All the eggs I find locally hatch out but never the mailed ones. I am guessing it's just not a great way to get eggs. Is there a swap around the Binghamton area or do any of you sell eggs for hatching? We have a modest budget but I can pay for the eggs. Thanks so much.
Welcome! Do you want certian breeds or just mutts? I'm not too far from you, in Marathon, Cortland County. I have two Gold Laced Wyandotte boys in with 2 EE, 1 blue Orp, 1 black Orp, 2 red sex link, 1 GLW, 1 black Australorp, and 4 Anconas. And I will be getting chicks from Tab sometime, we could coordinate transport of eggs too. They have some nice projects and breeds.

Back
Top Bottom