NY chicken lover!!!!

First day of collecting eggs for the Grade School hatch. Got 14 eggs. Now how come I never get that many when I am collecting eggs to SELL? Hmm? Do they know that these eggs are going to become babies? I am not going to be doing the hatching but I am going to be very interested in seeing if the tiny D'uccle eggs hatch. I mean these things are just a little bigger then Quail eggs. They may not be fertile, cuz my roos are both LF and may not be able to get down that low.
lau.gif

A Red Tail hawk has been spotted around here. I am going to redouble my efforts to get the local crows to live in my trees. I love birds of prey, as long as they aren't preying on my chickens.

I went back out into the "blizzard" to get the orps and try putting in them in with the silkies and was successful. The two orpington hens are just hanging out in the run while the others were up in the coop for a while. The silkie hens just made their way down to the run to get some food and water everyone seems to be getting along. I just hope the two orpington hens go up to the coop tonight and don't stay down in the run.
roll.png

Looks like I have a broody hen...ugh I feel like I'm going to be overrun with chicks in the coming weeks.
I have 13 in the bator, having 17 delivered and now depending on what happens with the ones she's sitting on I might have up to 6 more. This same hen sat on about a half dozen a few months ago though but gave up after a few days. I wish she would just make up her mind!

Looks like I have a broody hen...ugh I feel like I'm going to be overrun with chicks in the coming weeks.
I have 13 in the bator, having 17 delivered and now depending on what happens with the ones she's sitting on I might have up to 6 more. This same hen sat on about a half dozen a few months ago though but gave up after a few days. I wish she would just make up her mind!
Let her sit on wooden eggs and when your chicks hatch in the 'bator, slip a couple under her at night and remove the wooden eggs. You could even slip the broken eggs under if you think she will notice they are gone.

My husband April Fool Joke was " Look ( out the window ) whats that big thing flying above the pine trees ?
( Im thinking Hawk Vulture Eagle ) ( chickens are out free ranging ) he goes a ... UFO ?

Blue On Black - Love that song - still trying to figure out the lyrics .
Cute alien silkie Link

" Silkies are from Mars ..Chickens are from Venus "
Blue on Blue ..I think I am dating myself..LoL

Blue on blue, heart ache on heart ache, blue on blue now that we are through, blue on blue, heart ache on heart ache guess I can't get over losing you.....................Bob Vinton.

I am newish here and looking for some eggs to use for a Teen program at our library where I am the Youth Librarian. I have had chickens for years and LOVE everything about them but would like to get some new breeds. I have Buff Orpingtons and Americanas. Don't judge my spelling, sorry! I tried ordering some eggs the last couple of years and they are so unlucky. All the eggs I find locally hatch out but never the mailed ones. I am guessing it's just not a great way to get eggs. Is there a swap around the Binghamton area or do any of you sell eggs for hatching? We have a modest budget but I can pay for the eggs. Thanks so much.
welcome-byc.gif

I can send you a box of eggs if you pay the shipping on the priority box. I can send a mix. I'm sure you'll get something. I have Delaware (of course), Birchen Marans ( a pain in the butt to get to hatch), EE/Lav Amer ( just had a nice lavender chick hatch today so colors may vary), Columbian Rock and Blk/Lav orpingtions.

I'm north in Syracuse. Send me a PM and we can talk.

The current incu hatch day 20. Two Dels, on lave amer/ee and one CR. Pips on others hopefully tomorrow things will start hopping.

I have a Blue EE sitting on 6 Birchen marans eggs and a Birchen marans sitting on 4 EE/Amer eggs. I have a Del hen not doing well on 3 Del eggs and a Blk EE/Amer hen sitting on 6 Birchen marans.

Now I have to say the Blue ee , the BM and the EE are sitting tight. The Del not so much. I find her in other boxes and off her eggs. She and the Black EE are in the same coop but the Blk EE is very tight to the nest. Always the same nest I haven't seen her off the nest.

I do know when the broodies are off the nest as there is a BIG pile of poop in the yard.

I am newish here and looking for some eggs to use for a Teen program at our library where I am the Youth Librarian. I have had chickens for years and LOVE everything about them but would like to get some new breeds. I have Buff Orpingtons and Americanas. Don't judge my spelling, sorry! I tried ordering some eggs the last couple of years and they are so unlucky. All the eggs I find locally hatch out but never the mailed ones. I am guessing it's just not a great way to get eggs. Is there a swap around the Binghamton area or do any of you sell eggs for hatching? We have a modest budget but I can pay for the eggs. Thanks so much.

boxy welcome and good luck on getting some eggs!

Do you have a clip ?
Talking about this song ... It has started me on a Kenny Wayne Shepard y Tube playing binge ..Lol
unfortunately no. All anyone has ever recorded for us is this.......
. I always ask peeps to bring recording stuff, but I think they just get busy drinking
lau.gif

I much prefer our blues rock stuff to this.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom