NY chicken lover!!!!

New to having chickens, I have 12 three week old chicks. I got them 3 days old 4 different breeds. All are doing great, love having them around. I live upstate NY, Caroga Lake. Would love to meet other chicken peeps somewhat close to me.

Randy
welcome-byc.gif
it is what it is. (whatever that means)

Rancher

Good Afternoon All,

I'm on my 2nd batch of chicks; last spring was my first go at raising my own, so far I have 2 Ameracauna, 1 Ameracauna Roo, 1 Unknown, and 1 Red Sex Link. The chicks range from day old to week old - 3 Silkies, 1 Cochin mix, and 4 Lavender Orpingtons that I picked up this morning!! I live in Upsate, NY near Utica.
welcome-byc.gif
Kate Bean, we've been here where have you bean?
lau.gif

I'm cleaning the incu and may set some more EE eggs. I'll run the humidity higher this time since doing a dry hatch did not help.

I will build a new brooder that has two lights and that way if one goes out the other will still be on. I put all my eggs in one basket with just one light.

I check the unhatched eggs and most of them were not fully developed.

I've been checking the BR's and they are still not fertile. I thought to buy some BR's from TSC but they're sold out. I hate to mix in hatchery but what else can I do. My intent was just to keep one roo and get rid of the others. Though they were straight run and rooster chicks were easy to spot.

Hi All!
I'm back from my long weekend in CT. Got back early enough to rearrange my coop situation and get ready for my ducklings. I'm sooo excited. Went to TS today to pick up some feed for them.

Stony - I got two small bags of Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird crumbles for starting and growing. Is this what you recommended for ducklings?

TS in E. Syracuse didn't have much for chicks. Maybe 5 or 6 bantams and two types of other breeds I can't remember, all yellow chicks. Not a lot tho. So I was safe, no temptation to buy! :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

JLaw- from what I read it sounds like your daughter is doing well! Glad everything went well with her surgery.

Rancher - sorry to hear about all the chicks and the job situation. What a bummer. But I hope something else comes your way.

I'm cleaning the incu and may set some more EE eggs.  I'll run the humidity higher this time since doing a dry hatch did not help.  

I will build a new brooder that has two lights and that way if one goes out the other will still be on.  I put all my eggs in one basket with just one light. 

I check the unhatched eggs and most of them were not fully developed.

I've been checking the BR's and they are still not fertile.  I thought to buy some BR's from TSC but they're sold out.  I hate to mix in hatchery but what else can I do.  My intent was just to keep one roo and get rid of the others.  Though they were straight run and rooster chicks were easy to spot. 

The BR situation stinks but don't get hatchery, I'm on the lookout for a rooster. I seen one on Cl but it was already gone :( I only have 2 BR hens but I could always give you the roo and we could split the chicks :) I am determined to find one anyways.
Horse therapy was interesting today. We decided the horses needed baths cause of all the mud. Not all horses love being sprayed with a hose :/ After all that they decided they wouldn't cooperate and let us ride them with the exception of one horse. The kids had fun anyways, the chickens were everywhere today. I've never seen them go so far, good thing we have a huge yard! When they finally came back to the coop their crops were so full I thought they would fall over Haha. Everyone should sleep good tonight anyways. :)

Hi All!
I'm back from my long weekend in CT. Got back early enough to rearrange my coop situation and get ready for my ducklings. I'm sooo excited. Went to TS today to pick up some feed for them.

Stony - I got two small bags of Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird crumbles for starting and growing. Is this what you recommended for ducklings?

TS in E. Syracuse didn't have much for chicks. Maybe 5 or 6 bantams and two types of other breeds I can't remember, all yellow chicks. Not a lot tho. So I was safe, no temptation to buy! :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

JLaw- from what I read it sounds like your daughter is doing well! Glad everything went well with her surgery.

Rancher - sorry to hear about all the chicks and the job situation. What a bummer. But I hope something else comes your way.
the stuff I have used when I have ducklings was Blue Seal brand. It said on the bag, chick/gamebird starter. It is non medicated. I'm not really familiar with manna brand. I kinda avoid our sorta local TSC's

Good Afternoon All,

I'm on my 2nd batch of chicks; last spring was my first go at raising my own, so far I have 2 Ameracauna, 1 Ameracauna Roo, 1 Unknown, and 1 Red Sex Link. The chicks range from day old to week old - 3 Silkies, 1 Cochin mix, and 4 Lavender Orpingtons that I picked up this morning!! I live in Upsate, NY near Utica.
Welcome.................. I'm about 20-30 min from you. Guess we're neighbors !!

Back
Top Bottom