NY chicken lover!!!!

Good Afternoon All,

I'm on my 2nd batch of chicks; last spring was my first go at raising my own, so far I have 2 Ameracauna, 1 Ameracauna Roo, 1 Unknown, and 1 Red Sex Link. The chicks range from day old to week old - 3 Silkies, 1 Cochin mix, and 4 Lavender Orpingtons that I picked up this morning!! I live in Upsate, NY near Utica.

Welcome Kate

Biscuits!
droolin.gif

Good Afternoon All,

I'm on my 2nd batch of chicks; last spring was my first go at raising my own, so far I have 2 Ameracauna, 1 Ameracauna Roo, 1 Unknown, and 1 Red Sex Link. The chicks range from day old to week old - 3 Silkies, 1 Cochin mix, and 4 Lavender Orpingtons that I picked up this morning!! I live in Upsate, NY near Utica.

Welcome, Miss Kate! You've got your hands full.

TOB

the stuff I have used when I have ducklings was Blue Seal brand. It said on the bag, chick/gamebird starter. It is non medicated. I'm not really familiar with manna brand. I kinda avoid our sorta local TSC's

I plan on taking a ride to my local feed store tomorrow (the place I'm also getting the ducklings from). I just wanted to be prepared and they were closed by the time I thought of it. I'll buy a bigger supply from them if they carry something for ducks. It's a much quicker ride than the 20 mins it takes me to get to TS.

the stuff I have used when I have ducklings was Blue Seal brand. It said on the bag, chick/gamebird starter. It is non medicated. I'm not really familiar with manna brand. I kinda avoid our sorta local TSC's

At the moment I'm using Dumor Chick Starter/Grower 20% ($50 gift card to TSC, so, yeah!), and the new duckehs are growing enormous on it.

Today I smashed my thumb with a hammer while hammering a wall in place on the new coop. YOWZA!...and if Shane wasn't standing next to me, there probably would have been a lot of "@#$%^&*!!!!!"

Hubby and I set some concrete blocks today on top of the concrete foundation we set yesterday. This for the tiny storage area. Hope the good weather holds so we can get out there again some time tomorrow afternoon.

I am getting a crash course in coop construction!!!
lol.png

Tired and sore tonight but feeling satisfied with some progress made...

Have a good week everyone.

TOB

I'm so lucky sometimes... at the barn where I board my horse I was walking around the hay loft last week when I found two rolls of wire fencing. The barn owner said I could have them for my coop, which I'm trying to make out of as much upcycled stuff as I can (pallet wood, the found fence and chicken wire)

The other day she texted me and said she found two of the "coops" that her old business partner used to keep her chickens in and asked if I wanted them. One of them is pretty big. Not big enough for 6+ full grown chickens but big enough for me to let these chicks in for a few weeks for outside time till the coop is done, or to let one rooster out in if I end up with two of them. I also found a gigantic nest box that I can partition into two or three spaces.

I will post pics tomorrow.

Four of them are just to sweet to be guilty. They're just so sweet you want to eat them up.

Rochester? Wasn't he the guy in the Topper movies?

TOB, don't worry your birds are doing fine. I force myself not to think about the loss on the others as it's to heavy to carry.
i don't think t5here was a character in the topper series named rochester, jack benny had a rochester character.

Welcome to all the new people that are newer than me.

Daughter is doing great she walked a lot today. The nurses said they have never seen a kid walk so far at one time on the second day after surgery. Sorry that's a mouth full lol.

Good luck to those trying to get coops together. I still need to get mine going. The family that is taking care of my fords say they are trying to fly and need out side soon. Can't wait to see how big they are getting.

Good luck on on finding Roos to those who need them. And good luck finding a home for the two that someone was trying to get rid of. Sorry on I pad pain to quote/ scroll back for names.

Back
Top Bottom