NY chicken lover!!!!

Of the 9 silkie eggs I set only 2 hatched. I tossed 2 at lock down so 6 made it in. The other 4 died during lock down. I decided to open the non hatchers to see what was up. All 4 were fully developed. When I cracked open the air cell end I actually found a small bit of fluid in the cell so I did some further exploring. The membrane on them was thick and tough and the poor guys looked like they were shrink wrapped in the membrane.
My humidity was kept at roughly 30% until lock down, then bumped to 55% I'm kinda at a loss as to what actually happened. I may try one more time this year but I'm not sure yet.

All you silkie haters look away now :) Here's some pics

I got lucky and Broom Hilda went broody a week before and it's cheaper to run a broody than it is a heat lamp.

Evening Everyone,
So nasty and humid out today but I am glad to be back home. Got a lot of cleaning done today along with moving the chicks to bigger brooder. I'm sure they're happy. I had set some eggs aside to hatch after they hatched but I don't think I'm going to use those eggs now. I think it's past the holding time frame. Which is fine because I'm getting 3 eggs a day from the orps so I can have a dozen by next week and can try hatching again with those. I like the idea of hatching now and having pullets laying by spring. If I set another bunch now they'd be laying by the end of February. I think it'd be easier to sell them in the late winter/early spring as well. We'll see.

Stony - I'll have to show my husband that forum, he'd LOVE that. However he doesn't get much time to actually sit down and read with his schedule.

argh! I had a new chick this morning under one of my broody moms and none now. I think I have an evil chicken somewhere - never had this problem before - mamas hatched right in the coop but now the chicks just get killed. Last chicken who went broody raised her one chick just fine same coop.

grr! I don't have room to separate them so no one is getting chicks for a while..

hope everyone is doing well! Just finishing up school and I'll finally be able to breathe again! Still looking for people to interview regarding my disaster planning project - if you work at a major chain that has a disaster plan, if you work at a utility company, nursing home, etc - I just need to ask you a few questions! :)

Evening all. Let everyone out to freerange. Bill started chasing the girls around so I yelled at him and make deep bawking sounds. He quit right away and stayed back a fair distance. Yes, I am that crazy bawking chicken lady everyone talks about. Dh asked me tonight when will Bill move out of the jerk stage. He is five months old. I said maybe by 8 months. He said if he makes it that long. I forbid him to kill my last remaining rir heritage breed roo! I think Bill will turn out to be a decent roo once he has matured. He backs off when the girls resist his attempts to mate and he certainly backs off and gives us a decent amount of space when we are out and about in the yard. I really want chicks from him and the two red girls in the spring. Eowyn is still sitting on her eggs so at some point in the next 3 weeks I will have silkie chicks (I think). I didnt candle them and wont. I am letting nature take its course. If she hatches these two eggs, fine. Still trying to decide if the babies are boys are girls. I am very pleased with this breeding pen of silkies as they have produced great colors, beautiful feet and conformation. I hope Pyxis is happy with hers as will.

Waiting for my bread to finish baking so I can have a Roger sandwich. I stripped his bones tonight and gave the girls all the scraps. Sort of a last revenge on their tormentor. Saw a beautiful 6 pointer on the neighbors lawn down the road all in velvet. Real nice rack above his ears and coming forward. I often think its my dads way of saying hi from heaven because every time I think of him, I see a buck. Sounds weird but its true. It will be one year on friday since he passed. How quickly time flies. Still missing him every day. His favorite season will be here soon. He would be out every day looking for deer sign and planning where he was going to sit and hunt.

Out to sit with my cheeps now for some chicken therapy. Helps me to relax and power down. Have a good evening everyone.

Back
Top Bottom