NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
G'morning!!

There are good books on genetics, but I don't have any yet! I read a lot on the Breeds, Genetics & showing section. I also use the chicken calculator... here's the link:
http://home.kpn.nl/h.meijers69/kruising.html?mgt Feel free to ask any questions & I'm sure at least one of us will either know the answer or know how to find it!

I started out with two of this & three of that... till I found what I really wanted & got focused. We now have 4 main breeds -- 5 with the new Dominique chicks -- but multiple colors with the silkies & Ameraucanas. I'm probably going to have to give something up, so I can have more space for Noah to add other Dorking colors. Or I need to develop carpentry skills!

I am so glad to hear that about the guy in Malta! I did report him to ebay on each listing that I saw for illegal exporting. You simply can't do it without going through APHIS.

Last edited:
Quote:
You can breed the blue to your blacks from Jody if you want to make more. Half the chicks will be blue, half black. hen when you breed the blues together, you get BBS.
smile.png
The Orp eggs I have aren't marked, so I'm not sure how many blues are in there.... hope more project eggs than blue, though. My original silkies are BBS so I have the blue thing down.

Ahhhh....... so the silkies have already infiltrated your family!!!!!! They're fast & sneaky little buggers, eh?
gig.gif

I also would like to know about the butchering class.

I think it would be too far for you guys up north to travel down here for the class. A local guy and his wife are processing tomorrow and those of us who live around here begged him to do a class so he is doing one tomorrow. Gonna be cold though! Do you know of someone up there you can coerce (I mean ask!) into doing a class? This guy I am going to has done it for a long time and has his own setup and homemade plucker, etc. He is going to show us how to do everything from start to finish and plucking by hand as well as machine. I am going in on cornishs with him so I will be doing the deed come July. I figure my current flock, who will be a year old next month, is good for another year or two before I have to process them. By then I hope to have my Javas and have them established to laying/eating stage.

Ohhh Rancher--those silkies are sneaky little things when they are that little! Your family has been brainwashed already! If any come up missing, you will some some serious explaining to do!!!!

madsenaccord - I am only about an hour from accord, I could really use that butchering class if there is room for one more. I have 8 - 2week old meaties, and one rooster that is on thin ice. My DH and DD have done 2 birds, but I think we could use a hands-on training session.

he.gif
rant.gif

Rancher: I understand about the Blue Orps - I have one that hatched out of some eggs that I bought (okay, some is an understatement more like 200 eggs all together.....) Anyway, I have one I keep looking at from my first hatching that is huge and a bluish color - I'll have to send a picture to confirm but I am pretty sure he was my ONLY Blue Orp that hatched.

I think I got the article from you - I'll check my emails. I have cheeping for the last couple of hours from one of my incubators - I opened really quickly to look for pips and to figure out who's cheeping but no pips and don't want to leave the bator open and lose the humidity - how long should I wait before I intervene - think it may have started with one of them last night when I was raising the humidity.

Snow is SLOWLY melting - I bribed all my chickens this morning too. I think they still think the cold and flurries are my fault.

Happy Friday!

Last edited:
Here are some photos of a couple of my guys....These are a couple fo the Roos I want to get rid of. The Bantam Cochin Mottled Roos is not for sale - he's just for eye candy.

The Orpington Jersey Giant mixes are from my favorite gal Muggsmagee along with the Copper and Red - I just have too many of these guys and need to get rid of a couple - let me know before I put them in the freezer.

61846_000_00651.jpg

61846_000_00641.jpg
This one is of my Barred Rock Roo....

I hope I did this right - still getting the hang of attaching pictures in this forum.

Quote:
G'morning!!

There are good books on genetics, but I don't have any yet! I read a lot on the Breeds, Genetics & showing section. I also use the chicken calculator... here's the link:
http://home.kpn.nl/h.meijers69/kruising.html?mgt Feel free to ask any questions & I'm sure at least one of us will either know the answer or know how to find it!

I started out with two of this & three of that... till I found what I really wanted & got focused. We now have 4 main breeds -- 5 with the new Dominique chicks -- but multiple colors with the silkies & Ameraucanas. I'm probably going to have to give something up, so I can have more space for Noah to add other Dorking colors. Or I need to develop carpentry skills!

I am so glad to hear that about the guy in Malta! I did report him to ebay on each listing that I saw for illegal exporting. You simply can't do it without going through APHIS.

APHIS??

Yes, APHIS. The USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/index.shtml

There are all sorts of hoops to jump through & fees to pay in order to legally import. Also a list of countries that we can & can't import from, because they have diseases that we don't have. This guy on ebay from Malta was selling eggs to people in the US without permits -- and Malta is not a country we're allowed to import from because they have Exotic Newcastle Disease there. We don't. If you were to hatch eggs from birds carrying this, all of our flocks could be at risk. If you have birds sick from END, they actually send people in hazmat suits to cull your entire flock. Personally, I'd rather jump though hoops for the government, just to be sure they're healthy.

Quote:
I was soooo confused. Why can't someone buy eggs from someone in Malta. Of course I am thinking "Malta, NY". You are talking MALTA, the country.
lau.gif

Now I get it.

Quote:
I was soooo confused. Why can't someone buy eggs from someone in Malta. Of course I am thinking "Malta, NY". You are talking MALTA, the country.
lau.gif

Now I get it.

hide.gif
I was thinking the same thing. Malta, NY is only 30 min from my house.

Back
Top Bottom