NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
I was soooo confused. Why can't someone buy eggs from someone in Malta. Of course I am thinking "Malta, NY". You are talking MALTA, the country.
lau.gif

Now I get it.

hide.gif
I was thinking the same thing. Malta, NY is only 30 min from my house.

Sorry would have clarified that, but I didn't even know there was a Malta, NY!
idunno.gif

Quote:
hide.gif
I was thinking the same thing. Malta, NY is only 30 min from my house.

Sorry would have clarified that, but I didn't even know there was a Malta, NY!
idunno.gif

No need to apologize. And you DID clarify. I was the silly one for thinking local instead of global. Sometimes my brain just can't expand to hold the whole world in it. I think it would explode if I tried most days.

NY is a BIG state and there is just about everything in it. Cario, Egypt, Amsterdam, Austerlitz, Holland, umm...Russia, TWO Cherry Valleys (not that they are international names, just a fun fact), Malta, Greece, Prussia, Climax (he he)...that's all I can think of off the top of my head....of course Albany, Troy and Rensselaer (for the very common Dutch "Van Rensselaer")

I have lots of peeping & pips in my LG!!!
wee.gif
Can see a few pips in the Sportsman too, but I'm hatching in egg cartons in there so they're harder to see & the fan muffles the peeping sound. DD & her friend are home on spring break & he's never seen eggs hatch. It makes the whole process even more exciting!

Congrats! Yep, had a Sumatra hatch yesterday and have plenty more that are in lockdown of several breeds. NY has so many odd town names and some you think people are talking about a Country or another place and it's just NY. I guess when you are one of the oldest settled States you get that.

Let's see we have Cuba, Mexico (I think both are out near Buffalo - I think there's a Mexico NY) Then of course you have Saratoga and Saratoga Springs - you have to differentiate that here. There's Bleecker, Stone Arabia, Ephrataha, Esperance, many - my brain just got overwhelmed. I moved out of NY with my family back in the early eighties and didn't move back here (was in the South for just over twenty years) and when I came back it was hard to get used to the names - my teenage daughter MUTILATED Syracuse and Utica - I laughed until I cried - SHE did not think I was funny at all - her dad and I still tease her years later about it.

Anyway, getting more cheeping out of the bator and getting very excited - the Silver Phoenix's have decided to start flying lessons - I added them back into my other smaller chicks since the others seemed to dwarf them and they seemed a little colder even with the brooder light. So this morning I go past the tote upstairs on the Bar in the kitchen and out of the corner of my eye there sits one of the phoenix's on the edge of their feeder scoop just chirping and watching me....I cracked up got them some mealworms and put them back in with the other kids. I think some netting is going over the sucker this afternoon!

The sun is shining and Spring is coming and the chicks are hatching yay!
big_smile.png

celebrate.gif

The processing class at Nicks house was great. Besides myself, 5 other people showed up including a very nice couple from NYC who are looking to move up and have chickens. We processed 20 chickens and 9 ducks by 1:30. Nick had a great setup and with so many hands, everyone got to do all the different parts of the processing. Thanks Nick! I can now say with confidence that I can process my own birds correctly and easily. It was a cold but sunny day. The birds died a humane death and all questions were answered with respect (and humor). I wish more people could experience what I experienced.

4 days till lockdown and silkie domination!!!

Did Nick have one of those feather removers or did you hand pluck??? I'm drooling if he had one which I'm sure he did - life is much easier with one of those. My husband and I did fourteen Large Cornish in one day from start to finish with hand plucking and we promised ourselves NEVER AGAIN! Did he give you any sources for different tools and such?

Glad you had a great class and Teacher - I think I'll have to take it myself. Know how and have done, it wasn't bad until the feather plucking but it never hurts to have a pro show you how!
thumbsup.gif

Nick built his own plucking machine. Got the plans from a book called Anyone Can Build a Featherplucker (I think). Anyways, it was awsome. Plucked 2 birds at a time in less than a minute!!! He also had made his own killing cones and had them mounted so all we had to do was slide the chickens in and make the cuts, Basically, if you set everything up in sequence, it can go at a pretty good pace. I am going to ask my dh to build me a feather plucker.

oooooo, I think I'll see if Dear Husband will build me one too. Hubby is already talking about making the cones - I'll make sure to feed him up with his fav dinner and then get DH to build me one of those....he already sighed and has started plans for the next big coop (which will actually probably be a 10'x16' long building with a walkway, storage inside separate runs for a couple of the breeds and outside runs for them. I have another Black Sumatra in the bator piteously chirping at me to rescue him - not gonna do it - he needs to dry and start walking first! Just chirp back to keep him company until some of the other eggs around him hatch to play with him....

Back
Top Bottom