NY chicken lover!!!!

I may need to get a couple chicks to break this broody. She plays musical nest box, so won't give her any eggs to hatch. When my June incubator chicks hatched, I tried giving her one and she would take it as long as she was in the wall boxes. Move her to the coop box and she attacked the chick. If I can figure a way to make the tiny wall box safe for chicks, I'll give her a couple.
How high is it? Can you make a ramp? If you put a crate on the ground will she stay?..I have some Silver Laced Cochin chicks that just hatched...I'll be in Cortland on Thursday...
wink.png

I'm just getting ready to go to bed when I hear horrible screaming from the chicken coops. Throw on some shoes and a jacket and scuttle down there with a flashlight and an attitude to be confronted by raccoon popping out from the side of the coop. He/she looked like it was going to keel over from shock.
lau.gif
I checked all the coops and everything is tight and safe. The poor geese were terrified and came running over to their enclosure gate to tell me they were scared. All the doors have stall latches fastened down with carabiner clips, so they are as secure as I can make them. So glad I reinforced and double wired everything. Time to get a trap. That's probably what got my EE earlier this summer.

Take this as a reminder to check your coops and pens for incursion points before everything freezes up so you can get things repaired while the weather is still nice. I spent some extra money when building to get heavy duty wire and quality hardware to mount on double wall coops and double wired pens and I try to be scrupulous in locking up every night. My only loss was while free ranging.

Morning all. Its finally raining down here this morning and my plants are happy about that. I have a tomato! I am so hoping I get lots of tomatos. As a confirmed plant killer, the very fact that all the plants that I put in this year have survived is a miracle! Cant wait to eat my own tomato. My laying hens are lusting after all that greenery in front of their run. Good thing I have it fenced like fort knox or I would have nothing. Clyde is finally moving into his big boy voice this morning. Definately have to cull more roos either thursday or friday. Time to move out the last two silkie juveniles as well. Legolas will be getting some company since the girls are broody and wont hang out with him. I finally got a chance to go through all the eggs in my fridge that were laid while we were gone. Seems the pullets waited till we left then began laying. I had 7 pullet eggs. Ate a bunch for supper last night. Mighty tasty.

Horsekeeper--good catch on that coon. Trap it and kill it along with all its relatives. I have never skimped on safety for my birds either and thats why. I figure its better to go with the best security you can afford.

Sigh...since I didnt win the lottery, its back to work today. Of course, I would have to actually play it in order to win anything. Have a good day everyone!

I have 5 Silver laced Cochin Bantam chicks that hatched a few days ago? Where do you live. (I'm near Syracuse)
i am near Olean, on the other side of the state! I appreciate the offers. I think i may have found some turkey poults for her.. but i was always told not to put turkeys and chickens together. the lady assured me it would be ok.. as all of hers were together...i may just keep them til she is off the nest for a while and they dont need the broody.

I may need to get a couple chicks to break this broody. She plays musical nest box, so won't give her any eggs to hatch. When my June incubator chicks hatched, I tried giving her one and she would take it as long as she was in the wall boxes. Move her to the coop box and she attacked the chick. If I can figure a way to make the tiny wall box safe for chicks, I'll give her a couple.

If she has not done the mommy talk my guess is she's not ready. If you don't want her to hatch just keep taking the eggs and she'll break eventually.

I have one hen (EE) who broke, was laying again, but then one night I noticed another hens chicks under her and she's back to brooding chicks. So now both hens in that coop are brooding nine chicks of various ages.

Some hens are better mommas than others. Some I can just keep sticking chicks under as others hatch them and they'll just brood them. Others hatch but make lousy mothers.

My guess is your girl won't "mother" the chick where-ever you put her. She might not even mother her own. In the wall box she's setting, not mothering.

Hey there, I am a Upstate New Yorker up by fort drum. I have just started with the chickens.. We have 8 of them... I am looking for great ideas to how to keep them warm during the wonderful winter months. My girls are not laying yet, they are about 4 months old. Any advice on anything ?

I have for mine shelter from the wind outside, heat lamp inside coop and scratch for something for them to do and I may not live as north but I live like 1 mile from Lake Ontario surrounded by open fields so the wind gets whipping cold

Hey there, I am a Upstate New Yorker up by fort drum. I have just started with the chickens.. We have 8 of them... I am looking for great ideas to how to keep them warm during the wonderful winter months. My girls are not laying yet, they are about 4 months old. Any advice on anything ?
A nice draft free coop for them for winter. If there is anything that I have learned it is that they handle the cold much better then they do the heat....Coop needs to be draft free, but well ventilated to let the moisture out and some fresh air in. And a way to make sure that they have access to fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom