NY chicken lover!!!!

this is the thread I was looking for! I posted in the WNY chickenstock.. but I am searching all over for a couple of chicks! my broody sat and none of her eggs hatched... she wont leave her nest.. so I was looking to slip a few under her during the night..

I have had no luck on craigslist so far or pennswoods.. so I am turning here!
I have 5 Silver laced Cochin Bantam chicks that hatched a few days ago? Where do you live. (I'm near Syracuse)

this is the thread I was looking for! I posted in the WNY chickenstock.. but I am searching all over for a couple of chicks! my broody sat and none of her eggs hatched... she wont leave her nest.. so I was looking to slip a few under her during the night..

WNY Chickenstock? Hmm...I'm up for a road trip. LOL

Well I have chicks but you're to far away. Just had one hatch yesterday and one today. More on the way. I'm letting these girls hatch the last of their eggs. Checking each evening to make sure there are no new eggs.
hmm.png

Checking tonight I found what has to be a Delaegger. Most new chicks will be EE's.

I've got lots of fertile eggs. Let me know how many you want.
Fertile eggs I got too. EE's mostly though. A EE/frzzle cross too. Waiting on one to see how it turns out. Though now that I think about it the newest one could be Del frzzle. Couldn't see the shell color very well in the dim lighting.

That is a good Idea ...a extra dish . I may put her in with the younger hens / babies too as she should be at the top of the pecking order with them.
I also throw out scratch ...he chases her away ..Meanie !
I have also merged some of the young hens in with the flock so that also may have contributed to her not eating as much also .

I just wondered if there was a connection between pecking order & un explained chicken death ...something to watch for ...

I've got three in the Del coop. One large, one medium and one small. Since they're all on grower crumbles I mix it with water so they don't waste it. Spaced apart I do the large dish first and then when the big guys are at it the medium is done and then the small. This way all the big guys are out of the way.

I may need to get a couple chicks to break this broody. She plays musical nest box, so won't give her any eggs to hatch. When my June incubator chicks hatched, I tried giving her one and she would take it as long as she was in the wall boxes. Move her to the coop box and she attacked the chick. If I can figure a way to make the tiny wall box safe for chicks, I'll give her a couple.

Back
Top Bottom