NY chicken lover!!!!

So the chicks are getting into the ugly dinosaur age:) I think I might have to move them to the coop.... They are in a 4x4 box but they just seem bird and want to run around.. Is it normal behavior to jump and pounce at each other? It is only August and it is getting down to the upper 40s lower 50s at night! I really don't want to have to hang a heat lamp in the coop!
If it were me.. i would leave them in the brooder at night and set up a temporary pen for them outside during the day.. i think the jumping is normal for them too..

well, this is fun for me..... im a new guesser!
so, no austrolorps? if ee why are they the same looking? idont have any, but i thought they were all different.
this morning, i picked up a beautiful russian orloff
droolin.gif

this lady also had freedom rangers that i thought might be a good guess and also black (stars)?

EE can sometimes look similar. There may be subtle differences. I have a lot of black ee hens. If they are EE or EE crosses they could have Rose or Straight comb. Where did you get them and what were you told?

So the chicks are getting into the ugly dinosaur age:) I think I might have to move them to the coop.... They are in a 4x4 box but they just seem bird and want to run around.. Is it normal behavior to jump and pounce at each other? It is only August and it is getting down to the upper 40s lower 50s at night! I really don't want to have to hang a heat lamp in the coop!

They love to run & jump! You will see them rushing at each other challenging who's the top hen - they are so funny to watch! They're a lot more fun than human teenagers
lau.gif

So. When I first got chickens there was a ground hog living under my coop. I kept "marking" it's hole and it went away (at least that's why I think it left), but a rabbit lived there for a while after that.

Anyhow, Now I have another Groundhog living under there. I'd seen it in the yard but didn't know it was back under the coop.

Is this new resident a danger to my chickens? I do have a have a heart trap but what would I use as bait?

Any ideas on this matter?

So. When I first got chickens there was a ground hog living under my coop. I kept "marking" it's hole and it went away (at least that's why I think it left), but a rabbit lived there for a while after that.

Anyhow, Now I have another Groundhog living under there. I'd seen it in the yard but didn't know it was back under the coop.

Is this new resident a danger to my chickens? I do have a have a heart trap but what would I use as bait?

Any ideas on this matter?
reading this sounds like you were talking about my coop..lol..i had a groundhog that left and a rabbit moved in ..i dont think theres any danger ..maybe disease of some sort but i dont think it would go after the birds ..i figure if hes living under there less chance a coon will move in ..we have so many rabbits and ground hogs around here this yr its crazy ..my dogs go nuts everytime they see them ..

i beleave they only eat veggies and plants but i maybe wrong ..try googling what to use in a trap..

Hi all,
My name is Lisa. I'm in Binghamton, NY. My family and I are in the beginning stages of adding chickens to our home. I'm so excited! I've been lurking and absorbing all the amazing advice this forum has to offer.

reading this sounds like you were talking about my coop..lol..i had a groundhog that left and a rabbit moved in ..i dont think theres any danger ..maybe disease of some sort but i dont think it would go after the birds ..i figure if hes living under there less chance a coon will move in ..we have so many rabbits and ground hogs around here this yr its crazy ..my dogs go nuts everytime they see them ..

i beleave they only eat veggies and plants but i maybe wrong ..try googling what to use in a trap..

I'm sure it won't go after the chickens cuz he/she was sticking her/his head out and that's how I saw him. I'm really concerned about disease and rabies.

I haven't seen any rabbits in months. I used to see at least one in the evening. Once there were two and the chickens were chasing them around the yard. I've also see bunnies in the past too. None this year.

There is a cat that come around to mouse. So perhaps it's gotten the rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom