NY chicken lover!!!!

Good morning! The roosters seem to be an appropriate alarm clock- now that the daylight is more in sync with the time I wake up. Chicken girl 15, let me know if you want this Brabanter guy. He was clearly hungry this morning as he ran up to me non-aggressively. He free ranges near the coop I keep my Brabs in and they needed food in their dish too. I think the chipmunks must have cleaned them out yesterday. I only process on Wednesdays, so you have at least that long to tell me.

The mornings have been chilly. I've heard predictions of a rough winter. I'm hoping we have some time before frost so my brussel sprouts have time to finish. Beets are all canned. Tomatoes and cucumbers are still producing. Zucchini and yellow squash are also providing once in a while. The late planting time didn't hurt harvest too much. Next year I start earlier though. I'm happy I chose multiple varieties. I can narrow down my seed purchases next year.

My apple trees did nothing. I will miss the apples this fall. I hope they make up for it next year.

Broody hens are awesome. Puppy, my broody, has finally settled down post hatch. She doesn't immediately attack, but still gets spooked easily. She had 15 but one died. The 14 remaining seem quite healthy and even wander away from her a bit.

Well, it's time to get going with my day. I hope you all have a good one.

tao chick - was it you I got the Welsummer eggs? Just wanted to say they are stunning birds, 4 hens 2 cocks. I love Wellies anyway - I have 3 older hens, so full of character.
I think we are in for a hard winter, the girls are molting quite early and relatively quickly. Guess it's time to get a new snow thrower for my winter exercise - ugh! (exercise not winter).
Chicken girl 15 - most likely will be getting mottled Bredas' in the Spring, $ unknown at this time.
Stay warm and busy everyone,

Good morning! The roosters seem to be an appropriate alarm clock- now that the daylight is more in sync with the time I wake up. Chicken girl 15, let me know if you want this Brabanter guy. He was clearly hungry this morning as he ran up to me non-aggressively. He free ranges near the coop I keep my Brabs in and they needed food in their dish too. I think the chipmunks must have cleaned them out yesterday. I only process on Wednesdays, so you have at least that long to tell me.

The mornings have been chilly. I've heard predictions of a rough winter. I'm hoping we have some time before frost so my brussel sprouts have time to finish. Beets are all canned. Tomatoes and cucumbers are still producing. Zucchini and yellow squash are also providing once in a while. The late planting time didn't hurt harvest too much. Next year I start earlier though. I'm happy I chose multiple varieties. I can narrow down my seed purchases next year.

My apple trees did nothing. I will miss the apples this fall. I hope they make up for it next year.

Broody hens are awesome. Puppy, my broody, has finally settled down post hatch. She doesn't immediately attack, but still gets spooked easily. She had 15 but one died. The 14 remaining seem quite healthy and even wander away from her a bit.

Well, it's time to get going with my day. I hope you all have a good one.
brabnter guy is it a chicken

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom