NY chicken lover!!!!

I will keep an eye out for Craigslist stuff. Utica area is the closest to you isn't it?
If I had a truck I'd be picking up lots of stuff. Probably too much stuff. I could use some plywood for the roof of this chickens shelter. I like to have a place for them to be in shade.

I've been using logs my SIL cut up to surround my raspberries. I also have a dead tree that fell I'll cut up and use. I keep messing up the chain saw chain. I really need to learn how to use it. This is last years picture. This year I've been picking raspberries. I'd dug it up and filled it with compost and the plants have taken off.

Hi all. I sold 10 of my broody's 14 chicks. It was tough on me. The couple hasn't had chickens before and will probably be a good home but my broody wasn't happy at first. Four is plenty for her and I'm hoping she returns to being a calm chicken. Tell me it gets better.

Gardeners: tell me how your Brussels sprouts are doing. I have time for them to keep growing, right? When is the latest I can harvest them?

It does get better. Once the chicks are feathered out she'll go back to laying. I've had chicks to big to get under her but try when she's on the roost. I gave in and gave my Delaware some eggs. She's just so persistent. I gave her six but will give her a few more. If she's going to sit she may as well make it worth it. I won't keep all the chicks though.

It is best to sell the chicks after the broody releases them ..Approx 1 1/2 - 2 months old ...depends on the hen .
I imagine it was traumatic for her ...as she cant find them all now .
Hopefully she will calm down in a few days

They're 4.5 weeks old and mostly feathered. She did better by roost time and all four left fit next to and under her on the roost. I knew she'd be better if I waited but I also knew the chicks might be better in their new home if the group of 10 went now and got used to their new people. I won't be letting her sit on that many again. I didn't think she'd hatch 100%.

Thanks all! I hope y'all have a great Saturday.

Come on winter!! Get on with the show already. There are way too many bugs this year. Today is processing day for my cx group. No feed since last night yet they still have nice full guts. Nope not feed nor grass, but undigested BUGS. Icky let me tell ya. An entire beetle crushed and swallowed.

Come on winter!! Get on with the show already. There are way too many bugs this year. Today is processing day for my cx group. No feed since last night yet they still have nice full guts. Nope not feed nor grass, but undigested BUGS. Icky let me tell ya. An entire beetle crushed and swallowed.
I hate snow and winter. No snow would suit me just fine.

I hear you loud and clear! Last Fall we let the girls out into the main yard to eat the ticks - they did a great job. They are back around the homestead again this year - the ticks are awful. The dogs have anti-bug collars, are spot treated and still the little buggers hitch a ride into the cabin.
idunno.gif
I'm hoping for enough cold and snow to kill off a few hundred chipmunks too - those little blighters ate most of our tomato crop among other things....

I hear you loud and clear! Last Fall we let the girls out into the main yard to eat the ticks - they did a great job. They are back around the homestead again this year - the ticks are awful. The dogs have anti-bug collars, are spot treated and still the little buggers hitch a ride into the cabin.:idunno I'm hoping for enough cold and snow to kill off a few hundred chipmunks too - those little blighters ate most of our tomato crop among other things....
I wish you were closer. My cat and her babies eat 6 or so chipmunks a day and come to me every time the pick up even 1 flea or tick. They are barn cats so they never bring critters in thank goodness. The dog's on the other hand bring in all sorts of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom