NY chicken lover!!!!

My friend delivered me a blue laced red wyandotte rooster last night. Look at this chicken carrier! I want that!

I have now crossed the fine line of chicken lady to crazy chicken lady. I went from 69 and a duck to 182 and a duck. It's official I need more hands.

Lol
How's Girlie doing? Her sister is finally less skittish around me.

I've been trying to figure out chicken plans once I repair the coop floor. I'm ordering with Pyxis and setting eggs to hatch 5/16 to go with the chicks I get. That way I'm only brooding once and will be done by the time my baby gets here.

Some of my seeds have arrived and I also purchased a lot of starter soil & some grow lights. My starts have to be transplanted before I brood chicks. If I time it all well enough I'll have a much better garden and flock this summer. So: start seeds between now and mid-March: set up temporary coop in yard for flock mid March through beginning April: clear and repair main coop floor March April May & clear and prep garden March April May: transplant plants to garden May & set and hatch chicks April May: Chickenstock May 20: June separate chickens into 2 or 3 coops: July August rest/harvest garden/have baby: August September October harvest and consider flock goals: November prep for winter - process extra roos, preserve harvest, clear and mulch garden, clean and prep main coop for flock unification, load cellar with firewood :D

It all seems easy on paper... what is it they say about the best laid plans? ;)

@tao chick Girlie is great. She will be getting her flock of 63 next weekend. Right now she is with my EE group, they are the calmer group. She keeps the eggs warm for me until I gather them. She is without exception my favorite hen. When it's warm she travels the yard with me , if she isn't busy teaching babies to free range, in search of berries and bugs.

@tao chick Girlie is great. She will be getting her flock of 63
ep.gif
isnt 63 a lot for 1 hen ...? Does she just adopt any baby ? even when not broody ?
My hens will only do that when they are broody ....I believe..Ive never tried to mix them in .
I Dont have chicks anymore unless I have a broody hatching
I want to see them all try to sleep under her...REALLY I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PIC OF IT

D.gif

@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Last edited:
It all seems easy on paper... what is it they say about the best laid plans?
wink.png
Sounds like a good plan ...
My plans arent as precise :
Sometime I will
Plant some seeds ...
brood chicks when I have a Broody .
Clean out bedding from coop
clear and prep garden with bedding from coop
Plant some Plants ..
Maybe I could do a Schedule Though ...

:eek: isnt 63 a lot for 1 hen ...? Does she just adopt any baby ? even when not broody ?
My hens will only do that when they are broody ....I believe..Ive never tried to mix them in .
I want to see them all try to sleep under her...REALLY I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PIC OF IT

:cd
             @@@@@@@
        @@@@@@@@@@
     @@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
once she is in with them I will get a picture of it. It's the most amazing thing. And yes she adopts ANY!!! baby even if it's momma is right there. 63 is ok for her, she has a lot of love and no rooster to share it with. Heck she's so old she stopped laying .

:eek: isnt 63 a lot for 1 hen ...? Does she just adopt any baby ? even when not broody ?

:cd
             @@@@@@@
        @@@@@@@@@@
     @@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
once she is in with them I will get a picture of it. It's the most amazing thing. And yes she adopts ANY!!! baby even if it's momma is right there. 63 is ok for her, she has a lot of love and no rooster to share it with. Heck she's so old she stopped laying .

That is incredible! I have hens who've adopted many chicks, but only when they're broody. My little Elly May will just fluff up trying to cover all the chicks, though if she has too many to keep warm by herself, I provide extra heat to help her out.
I just love broody hens! Though I have to finish getting the brooder coop ready for the chicks & hens since they're hatching in one week!

A good way to repurpose that old toilet seat... I have a nest box in my run, for sunny days. I cut an access hole in the run wall, and mounted the toilet seat. Instant door!

I constantly have to chase birds out of the nest boxes at night. If I used a toilet seat as the hole with the flap to put down at night that would be cool. BUT I'd forget to open them in the morning and sometimes a girl will lay earlier than I get out there.

Back
Top Bottom