NY chicken lover!!!!

I do have fertile eggs but I'm afraid unless i"m here to collect every hour they'd be to cold. At this time of year I go out every hour to collect what is there. I'm working so much I don't get to go out only to let them out and close them up. Perhaps a visit or two when I can.

I will need help cleaning so will need a teen or someone else. I'll be offering minimum wage for a few hours work. Usually four at a time as I can afford. Though not every week. Spring cleaning will be a bit of work as I've been adding shavings, rather than cleaning during the January thaw like I used to.

I'll be dumping some peat moss into the runs to loosen things up a bit.

Does anyone have white egg layer hatching eggs within an hour or so of Saratoga? Planning to get my incubator up and running soon to do at least one hatch and most of my white layers have passed on over the years (they were 5-6 years old, older side for leghorns).. Also looking for naked neck eggs =). And an emu egg (ok, that can wait but I really want to try to hatch an emu this year =))..

Big snow today for some.. everyone ready?

Pouring with sleet/rain here. Temp is 34F so hopefully it won't freeze.....the ladies are not impressed.
roll.png

Does anyone have white egg layer hatching eggs within an hour or so of Saratoga? Planning to get my incubator up and running soon to do at least one hatch and most of my white layers have passed on over the years (they were 5-6 years old, older side for leghorns).. Also looking for naked neck eggs =). And an emu egg (ok, that can wait but I really want to try to hatch an emu this year =)).. 

Big snow today for some.. everyone ready? 

I've got NN eggs (not a lot, the girls aren't really laying yet) but I've been hatching these the past couple weeks and have three more on lockdown:

And Metella has spitz, which lay white eggs. I've been incubating for her to do a fertility test and they are fertile.

What will you do with the emu when it hatches, lol? In a few years I plan to hatch some to keep, but not quite yet.

Last edited:
I've got NN eggs (not a lot, the girls aren't really laying yet) but I've been hatching these the past couple weeks and have three more on lockdown:

And Metella has spitz, which lay white eggs. I've been incubating for her to do a fertility test and they are fertile.

What will you do with the emu when it hatches, lol? In a few years I plan to hatch some to keep, but not quite yet.
Didn't you move way far from me? I would love NN eggs and spitz :) Will drive as long as it's reasonable, don't ever want to do shipped eggs again.

Planning to get a bigger incubator to restock as I've kept my chicken count low the last few years.

As for the Emu.. I want to hatch one, keep it till it's off heat or about a foot tall, then I have a friend who will take it. She has sheep and other livestock so has more ability to care for a giant bird than I (and if she is reading this thanks in advance, assuming I can find AND hatch an egg)..

Didn't you move way far from me? I would love NN eggs and spitz :) Will drive as long as it's reasonable, don't ever want to do shipped eggs again.

Planning to get a bigger incubator to restock as I've kept my chicken count low the last few years. 

As for the Emu.. I want to hatch one, keep it till it's off heat or about a foot tall, then I have a friend who will take it. She has sheep and other livestock so has more ability to care for a giant bird than I (and if she is reading this thanks in advance, assuming I can find AND hatch an egg).. 

Nah, I just moved about seven minutes East, lol. I'm about five minutes over the NY border into VT now. Glens Falls is about an hour from me.

There's an emu farm in VT. I'm going to ask if they'd be willing to sell me some eggs when I decide to start hatching. If not, there's always eBay. There's a bunch on there right now.

Back
Top Bottom