NY chicken lover!!!!

Happy ending story for my rooster. I had him isolated for awhile trying to find him a home so I felt bad. But eventually someone reached out to me on facebook and wanted to take him for a friend. despite my friendly advice on general practice of bringing in a bird they chose not to isolate him. But maybe ended up a good thing since on his first day he fought off a giant hawk that went after the guy's orpington flock. All those fighting skills came in handy. They loved him and said he was the most beautiful roo they have ever seen. After he fought off the hawk he's being straight SPOILED over there so we couldn't be happier.

His poor fight victim on our end is recovering well despite a messed up eye. I have been putting verirycin plus gel on it every day but it still looks damaged. That's coming a long way since when the fight first occurred, we could not see an eye at all! Good to have the guy that didn't get along with the other doods -gone-though! Loving this nice weather. Working on the coop this weekend :)

Last edited:
Well I've been reading about Gleet. Specifically for these Marans. It's driving me crazy. They're the only ones affected. I'll try the rememdies I've read about and see how it goes.

I've treated with ACV but perhaps not long enough. None of them are laying so what have I to lose. I can't give them away in this condition but if things don't clear up I may have to cull them all.

My husband acts like he's not a chicken person but I caught him outside talking to them and giving them treats. I also heard him refer to them as, "my chicken..." I finally got him hooked! Ha ha!

Well I've been reading about Gleet. Specifically for these Marans. It's driving me crazy. They're the only ones affected. I'll try the rememdies I've read about and see how it goes.

I've treated with ACV but perhaps not long enough. None of them are laying so what have I to lose. I can't give them away in this condition but if things don't clear up I may have to cull them all. Does your ACV have mother in it ? I believe the yougurt needs active cultures in it also . I get the Lg pint of Dannon plain or Vanilla .Give them each a couple of Table spoon for 3- 5 days .dont give them the kind that has all that sugar added - Like Yoplait , Etc
MY MEDICINE FILE -
Vent Gleet, also known as cloacitis or thrush or mycosis, is an uncommon condition in young and adult birds. It is an avian yeast infection that can attack the whole digestive system from beak to vent, and also effect the reproductive system. It's usually caused by eating moldy food. It is sometimes confused with pasted vent, which is not caused by an infectious agent, and is common with chicks, but rare in adults.
Symptoms
Birds can show some or all of the following symptoms:
Depression Loss of energy Rough feathers Diarrhea Distended sour cro Slow growth Weight loss
Decreased hunger and increased thirst Soiled vent feathers White sores near the vent Loss of feathers near the vent
Reddened or swollen vent tissue Gray powdery or black waxy substances on the ven Very bad smelling droppings
Patches in the throat that look like yeast or wax Unexplained laying problems Swollen vent
TOXIC fLUSH -Treatment Laxatives
The purpose of laxatives is to flush the digestive system of toxic substances, in this case yeast.
Molasses: Offer one pint of molasses to 5 gallons of water free-choice to the affected birds for about four hours. Treat severely affected birds individually if they cannot drink. Return the birds to regular water after the treatment period. (Solutions Used For Poultry, 2008)
Epsom Salt: 1 lb Epsom Salt per 15 lb feed or 1 lb Epsom Salt per 5 gallons water for 1 day. Give the epsom salt feed mixture as the sole feed source for a one day period. This feed can be used only if the birds are eating. If the birds are not eating, use the water solution. If the birds are unable to eat or drink by themselves, use individual treatment with 1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt in 1 fl oz water. Feed the bird with a syringe. (Solutions Used For Poultry, 2008)
Castor Oil: Dose individual birds with .5 oz castor oil. (Solutions Used For Poultry, 2008)
***TOXIN FLUSHES ***are something everyone should be aware of, and have the needed items on hand to mix and offer. We would rather you be informed and prepared than to be in a panic and in need.
Epsom Salt Flush:
3 Tsp. Epsom Salts. , 1 ½ Cups water , ¼ – ½ gram vitamin and electrolyte powder * Optional
2 – 3 times a day for 3 days or until a full recovery is made.
Molasses Flush:
1 cup Molasses , 2 ½ gallons water , 5 – 6 grams vitamin and electrolyte powder * Optional
! !Do not exceed 8 hours ! ! After 8 hours replace Molasses flush with vitamin and electrolyte water
Activated Charcoal Slurry
1 tsp. Activated Charcoal Powder 8 oz. – Pure Water Dose 6 – 8 times daily
**These flushes will cause slight to moderate dehydration as they work to expel toxins and foreign matter from your birds system. After giving a flush, offer a steady supply of vitamin and electrolyte fortified water until a full recovery is made.
we prefer to use steamed oats (quacker like humans eat) and mashed egg when a bird is ill. Isolated into a dog kennel, covered to keep darker and quiet and keeping stress to a minimum.
Internal Anti-fungals
Copper Sulfate: Sometimes used as a follow-up treatment after flushing with a laxative. Dissolve 1 oz copper sulfate and 1 tablespoon of vinegar into 15 gallons water. Use as the sole water source during the course of the disease outbreak. Copper sulfate is often referred to as "bluestone". (Solutions Used For Poultry, 2008) Copper sulfate in a single dose of greater than 1 gram is fatal.
Potassium Permanganate: A solution of 1 tablespoon powder in 4.25 gallons water is an old remedy for diarrhea in adult chickens.
Nystatin: 62.5-250 mg nystatin and 7.8-25 mg sodium lauryl sulfate per liter of water for 5 days. (Saif 2003)
Garlic: Milder than chemicals, 1 clove of garlic (1/4 teaspoon dried) per gallon of water is a traditional treatment that does not effect the taste of the eggs.
External Anti-fungals
Fungicides can be applied externally to the vent and around the beak to reduce sores and waxy patches.
Sulfur: sulfur powder dusted on the vent area can greatly reduce sores and tissue buildup around the vent. Do not dust sulfur on the head. Sulfur can be found in garden centers.
Fungal creams designed for humans, for instance for athletes' foot, can be applied to both vent and head.
Prevention
Keep food sources clean, do not feed bird spoiled food, and store feed in a dry place. In young chicks, it may be caused by fungus on the surface of the egg. For future hatchings, dip the eggs in an iodine solution before incubating. (Saif 2003)
Probiotics
Probiotics are live beneficial gut bacteria that occur naturally in all animal digestive tracts. Various probiotics are in yogurt, liquid human probiotic solutions, or powdered livestock probiotics. If you specifically want to prevent thrush, use a probiotic that contains both Acidophilus and B. bifidum.
Acidify the water using apple cider vinegar (2 to 4 tablespoons vinegar per gallon of water) to inhibit yeast growth and up to 1 Tbsp live-culture yogurt per bird.

I've gotten quite a bit done in the last few days! Cleaned out the coops, fixed the chicken door on the big coop, fixed the human door on the AC coop, juggled roosters, wormed the birds - I'm really enjoying this weather. It was nearly 70 today.

I also put a light in the big coop because I'm still getting no eggs and haven't been for months. I figure they've had a long enough break.

I'm also enjoying my Valentine's babies. They are becoming quite friendly.

I've gotten quite a bit done in the last few days! Cleaned out the coops, fixed the chicken door on the big coop, fixed the human door on the AC coop, juggled roosters, wormed the birds - I'm really enjoying this weather. It was nearly 70 today.

I also put a light in the big coop because I'm still getting no eggs and haven't been for months. I figure they've had a long enough break.

I'm also enjoying my Valentine's babies. They are becoming quite friendly.

I got a few projects done too! Made the "Truck Cap Coop's" yard fences taller in their everyday area b/c they were getting into the grass paddocks & digging them up! Used hog rings on the aviary netting to attach to edge of fence & repair a few holes. Today, installed a 4ft tube gate for main entrance to chicken yard & zip tied the previous welded wire fence gate to it. It no longer sags & the "latch" is more secure now.

Today, we all kinds of weather - an was cloudy & windy with a few breaks of sunshine; afternoon it started to sprinkle/ light rain. Then about 4pm or so, it started down pouring & hailing! I was finishing up the gate, so grabbed my tools & headed for the brooder coop, where at least I could check on the chicks. It slowed down after awhile, but still pretty heavy rain. I'd let out the turkeys in the am but put all but the Bourbon Red tom back inside when it started raining. He was up on the turkey & brooder coop roof, so I had to climb up on the roof & chase him down, only for him to run around the chicken yard & fly back up on the roof! Finally, I caught him, but by then, I was soaked! I went inside & took a nice hot shower & got ready to go to Oneonta to eat out at Morey's for part of Dad's early birthday celebration. By the time we were ready to leave, it was snowing hard, on top of the 1/2" of hail we'd gotten already.

But we decided to go anyways - the back roads. It took us 1 hour vs 30 minutes to get to Oneonta, only to find the power was out on Southside! Thankfully, Morey's had power & we were able to enjoy a nice dinner. By the time we headed back home, the roads were clear or at most a little slushy, vs the few inches of snow that were on the roads earlier.

Ok guys I'm looking for help with this northern cold weather chicken keeping. I'm not from NY but live here now. I had a hen go broody and has hatched 4 beautiful chicks. My question is how warm should I try to keep my brooder coop for the chicks and their momma? I know a brooder needs to be around 95 or so without a momma to keep them warm.

Back
Top Bottom